Winter Tires vs. All-Season

Discussion in 'Truck News (headlines)' started by MikeG, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
  2. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    Ya know, MikeG, these Cooper Arizonian (sic) Silver Edition tires I bought for the Camry work just fine in the snow... they're not truck tires, mind you, but the tread lasts forever and the tires easily handled a foot of snow on the gravel drive last winter (no shoveling for this kid, old fogies die of heart attacks doing that stupid $h!t, LOL). These "Tier Two" tires (as salesmen call 'em, since they're a cut above the cheapest Chinese rubber) work so well that I'm only gonna buy them for the Camry, or any other sedan I might own in the future. Good rubber compound, long-lasting tread that works like gangbusters, relatively cheap price, what's not to like? I paid around $450 for this set, labor included, and they've lasted three years already with plenty of tread left... not one blowout either, so no roadside repairs, which is nice. In fact, if I wind up buying a little 2WD pickup in the future, I'll probably run these tires just for the fuel economy on pavement... only reason I'd buy another truck now is to haul firewood, when I get a quad I'll just ride the roadside trail to the turnoff for the wilderness, the trailhead is only a mile from my house, LOL. :btruck:

P.S. Like IT, I'll hafta post some pics of the firewood I just scored yesterday, it's still out front on the gravel drive because I haven't racked it yet... I was too busy cooking a big ol' batch of spicy hot homemade chicken burrito mix yesterday afternoon, had to drink a few beers while making that batch, just to put out the flames, 10-4? With all the fresh hot peppers I threw into the mix, it's guaranteed to burn ya on both ends, LOL. :eek:

gmctrucks and MikeG like this.
  3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

My buddy had them on his car they held up real good and smooth.

Now I have posted a video on this stuff but look at the whole video look how it can help and make your stuff last many moons.

I have some but it’s almost finished I used it on the tray that my refrigerator has where one gets ice and water I’m going to buy a gallon of the stuff when I find the best deal.

MikeG likes this.
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Full Member

semi retired
    Home Page:
    Canadian here.....We need snow tires.....They are softer compound as well as the special tread. Grip better in snow and handle better on ice due to the flex of the softer compound. Just sayin'

MikeG likes this.
  5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Here in Oklahoma we don''t have a need for winter tires, it don't get that bad but once a blue moon will get a bad snow storm. I run a good all season but ot me the important thing I look at is the tread pattern, how ope it is at the shoulder to spit teh water out to keep contact with the ground, and whats called sipes it pulls water up and throws it out, helps keep you from hydro planing. Most tires and this applies to OEM factory tires if you look at the shoulder of the tire its closed off its not open to kick water out, why new cars are being flown of the road when it rains chitty tires.

Most northen states its law to have winter/snow tires on I was watching weather channel about wild weather said that the state they were showing the video of state law requires winter tires.

I had a 82 chevy one i needed tires ex brother in law worked for a tire place hauling them off and darn neat new set of studded snow tires, I out them on my truck and drove it for a while with the studs then went dug the studs out, were good tires had great grip but didn't last very long before I wore them out, lol.

MikeG likes this.