Wheel repair

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by Buds1990, May 15, 2017.

1. Buds1990

Buds1990 Full Member

Retired
    That sounds interesting because the AM/FM Amp must be bad on the radio. Can barely hear the radio with the volume all the way up. The volume on the cassette player is O.K. I thought that they would have used the same power supply but I guess not. Haven't had time to look into that. Dirtrider, what is the radio called and where would I find one. The opening looks too narrow for the regular replacements that I have seen.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Radio and cassette deck use the same power, if look under dash by steering column thats the receiver for the radio, there is also a adapter plug thats plug and play type plugs into factory wireing then wire in a aftermarket radio if ever want to return to factory it plugs back to stock. A regular head unit fits in that spot, the adapter has the vents, is color matched and has a slot for the radio, you have to remove that panel where the center vents are remove the cassette deck, insert the radio adapter and install a radio.

Might look on crutchfield they make have it, I was lucky and when I bought my truck that part was in it at first I didn't know what it was till I looked it up. It makes a difference having a aftermarket head unit plus I have subs under my back seat.

3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    dash kits that are color matched, Dash Kits at Crutchfield.com

wireing harness to plug into factory wires, Wiring Harnesses at Crutchfield.com

Thats the adapter that goes where the cassette deck is, use your vents. The wireing plugs into factory then the splice in the aftermarket radio so your not hacking the stock wires, so if ever revert back to factory just unhook after market and put factory stuff back in. its pretty simple plug and play type up work. Most radio shops can do it but I like doing it myself, saves money plus I do it the way I want and know where the wires are if something goes wrong.

you may also need a antenna adapter, IIRC the factory antenna is smaller than the aftermaket radio antenna hook up.

4. Buds1990

Buds1990 Full Member

Retired
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into this after I get all of the other problems taken care of. Bud