weather

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chevychase, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    WideTheF#%Open and kbrown11 like this.
  2. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    Boy, have I got some shots for y'all... today the weather here is fantastic, but yesterday was a bit on the cool side, though it was still sunny and clear, 10-4? I had to run to the Wells Fargo branch office in Pinetop yesterday, so I figured I'd stop on the way and feed the birds at Rainbow Lake... the lake is practically on the way to Pinetop, just a short detour of one block off AZ260. I threw some cold cereal into the last of a can of stale Planter's Peanuts I've been meaning to give to the birds, filled the can but didn't take any more because I didn't know how many birds would be down at the lakeshore. I don't visit this lake very often because most of the shore is tied up with private property---unlike other lakes there's no trail going clear around the water, right? There IS a public boat ramp and short fishing pier, but the pier is in rather shallow water, so I don't know how good the fishing is. The lake is pretty enough, no doubt about it, but there are access issues with regard to private property, so it's not my first choice, and two other equally-beautiful lakes lie closer to my home, both with trails around their shores. Fool Hollow Lake has radical trails, very nicely developed, I believe I've posted shots of that venue taken when I rode my adult BMX bike there. Show Low Lake has dirt trails more suitable to hiking, but it is also very beautiful, easy on the eyes & soul, that's for sure. :)

Anyway, I parked in the lot and snapped a couple pics of that end of Rainbow Lake, then walked over to feed the birds. There were a number of birds by the pier, sheltering from the cool breeze, but they started paddling away as I approached. However, as soon as I walked out on the pier and started slinging cereal & peanuts on the water to either side, the birds literally swarmed toward me and started grabbing the snack items. Birds farther out on the lake all rose and winged their way toward me, and in no time I was surrounded by about 200 squawking birds, everything from grayish-black birds with long bills to beautiful ducks to big ol' Canadian Honkers... I thought geese were more wary of man, but evidently these guys didn't give a darn as long as they could snap up some peanuts, Rice Krispies and Cap'n Crunch cereal, LOL. I'm se-wious, it was like a scene out of Alfred Hitchcock's "THE BIRDS"---except these critters weren't trying to peck me or gouge out my eyeballs, they were too busy macking peanuts & cereal. Made me wish I had brought more, maybe some of those stale loaves of bread one can buy dirt cheap from the sale rack at the store. Meh, there's always next time, check out these rounds of pics taken yesterday at Rainbow Lake:

IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG

Y'all can see in that one photo how birds from across that end of the lake were winging their way over toward the pier once the feeding frenzy began, LOL. But this gets even better, lemme post another round of pics to show y'all what I mean. Look closely in that last pic and you'll see a duck that looks like a friggin' cow (black & white), or like a paint pony... er, I mean paint duck, LOL. :eek: More pics of that bird and others on the way...

3. WideTheF#%Open

Round #2 of Rainbow Lake pics:

IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG

Crazy, huh? Some of those Canadian Honkers were pretty big... this was no survival situation, but if it had been, one of those geese would have wound up roasting in the oven in my kitchen, LOL. No worries, I was just there at the lake to feed my little feathered friends... some of 'em not so little, aye? :eek:

GOT A FEW MORE PICS TO SHARE, MY FRIEND JUST CALLED FROM CORONADO SO I'M TAKING A BREAK, BE BACK IN AWHILE, CHEERS!!! :woot:

4. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    Hey Rail grab a few of those critters, I'll get the Smoker ready!! :rofl:

5. WideTheF#%Open

HaHa, I copy that... you've heard of Peking Duck? Well, round here we gots White Mountain Duck, 10-4? And big ol' Roast Canadian Honker, LOL. :eek:

Here are a couple more lake pics:

IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG

Here are the kittehs, dreamin' of savory, mouth-watering roast duck & geese, LOL:

IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG

And of course Crackhead had to pull his "Snoopy the Vulture" impersonation: "DUDE, WE CAN USE THE BBQ!!!" o_O

IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG

"C'MON, RAIL, LET'S GET THOSE DUCKS & GEESE ON THE GRILL!!!" :confused:

6. WideTheF#%Open

#7296 WideTheF#%Open, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    On the way to the lake, I pulled over to photograph this classic set of dancing bears... I remember I told y'all that I was gonna start photographing the carved wooden bears in this area (must be hundreds if not thousands, don't know where to begin), but these bears were made of metal, and they even incorporated old license plates, LOL. Check out these dancing bears:

IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1890.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG

Now, these bears aren't really my style, I like the carved wooden bears better, but whoever made these is still pretty creative, LOL. I like the license plate boots on the pistol-packin' bear, things will hold up longer than my Chinese AC/DC slippers from Walmart, no doubt. And how about that license plate snowboard? That's pretty cool. The guitarist bear gets my nod of approval too, LOL...:eek:

ISLAND TRITON, gmctrucks and kbrown11 like this.
  7. WideTheF#%Open

Got a couple more bear pics, this first one reminds me of Madonna... and NO, I am NOT a Madonna fan, LOL.

IMG_1897.JPG

Don't ask me what the pan & porker are for, maybe the gal works at a diner, 10-4?

IMG_1898.JPG

These painted wolves were all over the property, they looked kinda cool:

IMG_1886.JPG

Anyway, y'all can see how fine the weather is here, despite what little snow is left on the ground... :wtruck:

8. WideTheF#%Open

#7298 WideTheF#%Open, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    One last round of kitteh pics:

IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG

Ah, yes, when you're a cat, life is rough here at the ol' hacienda. Same goes for me, since I was born in the Year of the Tiger (Oriental Zodiac), it's Friday afternoon and I just cracked a gallon bottle o' vino for wine coolers... tired of beer, figured I'd relive my "high school daze" and throw down some rotgut Sangria mixed with 7-Up. Back in the day, we only drank this cr@p when the gals wanted wine coolers... used to buy some cheap wine called "Spanada" and mix it with soda, 10-4? I suppose "Spanada" was a contraction of "Spanish Armada"---the rotgut vino had a cheesy galleon on the label. Had the label been historically accurate, the galleon would've been SINKING AND ON F#%$G FIRE, LOL. Meh, nothing wrong with reliving the old days once in awhile, if this cheap Carlo Rossi Sangria lives up to the mark set by Spanada in the '70s & early '80s, I'll be puking buckets by 2100 hours, AYE??? :rofl:

ALRIGHT, TRUCKFORUM HEROES, THAT'S ALL I GOT TODAY, GONNA GET PLASTERED AND WATCH SOME ENTERTAINMENT ON THE 65" CURVED SCREEN... FOOTBALL THIS WEEKEND, WOOHOO!!! :btruck:

EDIT: I was wrong, it's a 4L bottle of rotgut vino, which means even more of the cr@p to drink... :confused:

9. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

1E9CD355-4018-40A1-A5F1-970B902127BF.jpeg 47C650F0-EAF5-4BB7-99AD-466E532D9A75.jpeg 8387DC8D-51EA-48F7-9271-B4D602B30F45.jpeg Houston Sunday low 30 high 50

Rail them are some awesome pics I like them there is some spots in Clear Lake, TX that one can feed ducks as well hey some even chase you!

I’m going to post my latest Vape mod I’m very happy with it.

ISLAND TRITON likes this.
  10. ISLAND TRITON

ISLAND TRITON Full Member

Nice birdies!

gmctrucks, MikeG and WideTheF#%Open like this.