Turning a RWD into a 4WD(4x4)

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by berserker1, May 16, 2013.

1. berserker1

berserker1 Full Member

Can I instal a transfer case to a 2 wheel drive chevy S-10??

I was told that in order to do that, I must change first the imput chaft of my 2 wheel drive transmision for one that can take the torke needed to run 4 wheels instead of two. What do you guys know about this??

Thanks.

2. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Jack of all trades, master of none
    I have always been told that if you want a 4WD truck....you need to sell your 2WD and buy a 4WD. While it is possible, you are going to end up spending more money and be putting in more effort to do the conversion. It is going to require more than just the driveshaft change and the equipment. Suspension and wiring harnesses to name a few.

Short answer.....yes, it's possible and it has been done many times. However....you are going to be better off just buying a 4WD truck and selling the 2WD. There are a lot of factors I don't think you have considered yet that is the reason for this.

Hope this helps you.

1 person likes this.
  3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Tranny needs be changed, need front end from a donor truck, linkages, drive shafts, it can be done of you got the money and time, cheaper sell 2wd buy a 4wd truck.

1 person likes this.
  4. batty1214

batty1214 Full Member

Mine Mechanic(tire guy)
    Unless you plan on going something seriously over the top, aftermarket trans and transfercase, and custom suspension front and rear, it is cheaper, easier and usually more reliable to trade or sell the 2 wheel drive and buy a factory 4by. That being said, a jeep cherokee or wrangler dana 30 front axle is a relatively easy swap into the S10, and I have done this swap, but we did link suspension front and rear, with coil springs, but was building it for rock crawling. To answer your trans question, it will have to have the rear output changed, and is generally easier and cheaper to find a S10 with the 4wheel parts for the conversion.

1 person likes this.
  5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    wow.........

6. berserker1

berserker1 Full Member

I was thinking to pay a visit to the junk yard and trie to get me a transfer case, control arms, front diferential and axles from a zr2 or a blazer to start. Having to change the transmision was one of the things I was hoping I could get away with, I see now that I'll have no choice but to change it; that could be expencive!

I've already though about seling my 2WD but I'm atached to it, plus I have taken great care of it and runs great. It would be a chame to have to get ride of it. I wouln't mind the time and effort it will take to convert it in a 4WD. I've also been thinking about puting a straigt axle in the front with leaf springs but I hear that SLA independent suspensions offer beter traction.

Guys, thanks for the imput.

7. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Jack of all trades, master of none
    As long as you are aware of what you are getting into here....and the sentimental aspect is worth it to you....I wish you luck. Only thing I would suggest here (if you haven't done it already) is to actually put pen to paper and work you up a total of what you are expecting it to cost you. Try and include everything here including part costs, labor, etc. so you can get more of an actual number as to what this option is going to run.

I'm not trying to pursuade you one way or another here....so please

don't assume the purpose of what I just suggested has any reasons along those lines. The reason I am suggesting you do this first is because it would probably end up being what I would do to kinda gauge what being sentimental is going to actually cost. The better you can be informed as to what to expect....it certainly makes a decision like this a little easier to make. I completely understand being sentimental about a vehicle. I'm with you there....but there is a limit. Knowing if the price you are going to be having to pay for sentimental reasons is ok in your mind....more power to you.

8. batty1214

batty1214 Full Member

Mine Mechanic(tire guy)
    I've never found a independent front end to offer more.traction than a solid axle, but that's probably due to where I run my 4bys.. as for the sentimental aspect, do some research on this project, know what your getting into like Boudin suggested. I've picked up quite a few half finished projects that started out as a sentimental attachment, and turned out to be more than was sensible. I've got a 78 ford that will be getting a solid front end and the 4 wheel running gear because of sentiment..

1 person likes this.
  9. Sodell

Sodell Full Member

The other alternative here is to buy a 4WD truck and switch your body, engine over to it. Not sure what the year of your truck is but the older S10's are easier to switch over. I would not waste my time with anything short of the 4.3 if you are planning on doing any 4 wheeling. Just my thoughts, as I have switched a few of the 73-87 body style full size trucks and it was fairly easy. I also had a 91 S10 until a year ago that I replaced the 4.3 twice and the trans once, it was easy to work on although the exhaust manifolds are kind of tight.

10. berserker1

berserker1 Full Member

Batty, what I was told was that when you hit a bump on the road or trail with a straight axle, the oder tire is also afected by riding on the edge of the tread instead of having the full extent of the tread making contact with the ground. The SLA, I was told don't have this problem because been independent both tires from each other, when one hits a bump, the other remain with the full extent of the tread in contact with the ground giving the vehicle more stability. Now, I dont know if this is just theory or if there is any practical reality to it. Sodell, mine is a 2002 4.3L. Your idea is also apealing and something I'll be definitelly keeping as an option. I'll take you all advices into consideration. There is definitelly a lot of sence on what Boudin says; I've already started to take some notes and do some research. Thanks again.