Toyota Truck Buying Questions

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by contactadg, Feb 17, 2014.

1. contactadg

contactadg New Member

Hi. I'm about to purchase my first truck and I've decided on a Toyota. I need to get good gas mileage so I want a 4cyl. with a manual transmission. Extended cab a must, 4 wheel drive is preferred, but not a deal breaker if without. I've been looking at early/mid '90s pickups because they have the 22re that I've heard so many good things about. However, I understand that the Tacoma's do not have this engine. So my questions are as follows

What's the difference between the 22re engines and the post '95 tacoma engines?
    -which has better gas mileage?
    -which is more reliable?
    -anything that I should consider when buying either one model over the other?
    -I've seen people try to sell these trucks (pre & post '95) with pretty standard equipment sometime $1,000-$3,000 over Kelly book. Is this right? Or are these people overpricing. How reliable is KBB when assessing the value of these trucks?

Also, anybody know of any other forums that I can find out more about purchasing the right truck for me?

Thanks!

2. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

Just remember, "extended cab" room in the rear is pretty much a comical feature with
    fold up rear seat(ya probably only one!) is a funny fishing boat like seat with laughable
    rear storage for your items,at first you won't really care,but as the mths roll by,it'll start mattering more an more..good trucks though!

3. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    22R engines are darn near indestructible. Loading up a 4cyl with 4wd and extended cab is going to cost you mileage. Plenty of yota truck forums out there. Google is your friend.

4. Ben1

Ben1 Member

Toyota is the best! Smart choice, dude. I chose this truck and have never regretted my decision. Have fun riding it!

5. wilhed

wilhed Member

machinist
    I can tell you that you'll be smart as far as gas mileage to go w/the 4-cyl over 6. Also, Don't get giant tires if not needed. 4wd can come in handy, however, pretty much no matter where you might live. Not sure how you're going to fare if you are aiming for a mid-90s era Toyota. 22re? Not sure. My Tacoma is an '03 and I've not seen anything in the documentation about a 22re. sohc- Here's a handy site: FuelEconomy.gov Trip Calculator

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

be careful of where it has been, engines may be good but not bodies for rust and rot

7. wilhed

wilhed Member

machinist
    Agreed - Toyota bodies are lighter in general than Dodge or Ford, for better gas mileage I suppose but they do tend to rust and wear a bit