Towing with a Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Veronica Lynn, Aug 11, 2017 at 1:02 PM.

1. Veronica Lynn

Veronica Lynn New Member

Hello! Hoping to get some help cracking to code on towing capacities.

Currently own a 2011 Chevy Suburban 4wd. Book says max trailer weight is 5,500lbs. Hitch says max trailer is 5,000lbs with 600lb tongue weight. Adding weight distribution hitch increases these numbers to 10,000lb max trailer and 1,000lb max tongue.

Currently own a 1994 S&H Thundercloud 3 horse trailer. GVWR is 7,000lbs. Dual axle with each being 3,500lbs. Called S&H to get an idea of trailer weight. Data isn't around for trailers this old, but an approximation is 2,700-3,500lbs. This estimates tongue weight between 836-1083lbs.

If I'm understanding all of this correctly, this Suburban should not haul this trailer loaded down with horses. Even with weight distribution, the trailer weight loaded will exceed the 5,500lbs the book says the Burb should haul, right?

If all of this is correct, then we need either a different trailer or vehicle. Currently looking at a 1999 Suburban 2500 6.5L diesel. It has a GVWR of 8,600lbs and according to my searches, a towing capacity of 9,760lbs????? I'd love for someone to be able to confirm or correct this! We have to keep the Suburban size as we have 6 children. Would the 2500 Suburban tow the 7,000lb horse trailer assuming it had an adequate hitch? What about with 8-9 people inside & some luggage?

Just want to be sure that if we do this, we aren't doing it again in another year. I truly need to understand what all these numbers mean.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

yes your understanding is correct

3. Veronica Lynn

Veronica Lynn New Member

What about the 2500 Suburban? Anyone know it's confirmed towing capacity? I've found anything from 7,500 to 9,760.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

it depends on axle, suspension and engine...how much you can tow....should be able to get stats off kelly blue book,

kbrown11 likes this.
  5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Google what year burb 2500 model towing specs should find all the info you want, or really for any vehicle for towing. One thing to keep in mind is you are going to put so much tongue weight at the hitch most is not very much then add weight to back in luggage, that adds more weight/tongue weight at the rear and will make handleing funny. Ever see a truck going down the weight with a heavy trailer and the front end is just about lifted off the ground and the back end swaying, thats why, got to keep it balanced, also weight on the trailer is also important, there is a little video somewhere on youtube that shows the importance of tounge weight and trailer weight balance, just a slight jerk of the steering whell with off balance tongue and trailer weight will make you fish tail like crazy.

kbrown11 likes this.
  6. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    the 3.73 rear diff had the lower tow rating and the 4.10 had the 10000 lbs rating, also personally the 6.5s stink for towing anyhow if you are going diesel get into a newer one preferably an Allison transmission,

your burb would be fine with 2 horses in it I had a 2 horse circle J front tack (3140 lbs unloaded), and pulled it everywhere across the country with my 1/2 avalanche and fully loaded the trailer was 7500 lbs (on 7000lbs rating) and the avalanche tow rate was 6000 i was always nice to it and never put in overdrive. even in the passes here in mt it was the best set up!, only sold t to outgrowing it!

kbrown11 likes this.