TBI SWAP TO NON-INJECTION VEHICLES ALL BORROWD FROM DIFF. SITES LOT OF EDIT GOING ON.

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by chevychase, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Ralphbf

Ralphbf Member

Is this better than a well tuned Q-jet?

Ralph

1 person likes this.
  2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

A well tuned Q-Jet is mighty hard to beat.
    The differences between the carb and a TBI is, Your oil will stay much cleaner, longer and will make for some good longevity to the internals of the engine.
    Improved fuel mileage and as good of performance off the line.
    My 93 GMC gets to 95 real quick, the acceleration slows a bit but still is`nt too bad to about 110, where the ECM shuts off the spark or fuel then slightly back off and it will hold almost a hundred and ten.
    I guess I do`n needs to go any faster`n that.
    I`m sure a well tuned Q-Jet would beat it, but, as clean as the engine runs and with seventeen and eighteen to the gallon at seventyfive, I guess I really do`n care. :no: :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Also :
    If You can find a 87 and newer to, I think, 91 square body suburban, the wiring harness is a lot simpler and does`nt have a plug at the fire wall. It has a grommet and the wires run straight through.
    The grommet is located to the right of the braking booster and by unplugging the components inside, it will all come right out.
    If You are converting a 86 or earlier Chevy Square body, keep the dash out of the S-B suburban and fit it into Your 73 to 86 S-B pickup. The speedometer is electronic and will also require the pickup coil and reluctor wheel on the output shaft where the speedometer gear is located.
    If You want to keep the cable drive speedo, an adapter can be purchased for about 75 bucks that will hook the speed sensor and the ECM and the speedo cable hooks into the middle. I think it is number 1. V-8 Vehicle Speed Sensors (VSS), Speedometers, V8 Conversions, Stealth Conversions
    For the Small Block.
    The intake manifolds have a slight difference, on the two center bolt holes on each side, they go straight down instead of being angled. The TBI manifolds center bolt holes can be hogged out to make the angle. I would suggest to make a set of beveled washers to make the allowance for the change in angle, or, use the die grinder end mill and mill the holes to the same angle as the rest of the holes. real close is good enough, just allow enough room to get a socket or end wrench on the bolts heads.

1 person likes this.
  4. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Full Member

Stove tech @ true value
    Looks like you used a TBI to carburetor adaptor plate. Is that right?

5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    A homemade plate.
    Can get adapter plates diff. thickness ect. Make sure you get for carb. you will be using. Also right gaskets..so throttle blades do not hit gasket.
    Can get a intake..but need to get one that has heater hose connection at rear to make things simple. Also if you want to keep egr look for that.
    Can use a older intake as Marty has says..drill the 4 center bolts..taking time not to over drill.Does not take much to do this.
    Just have to take some metal off at sides like in pic..careful .

[​IMG]

6. dlcalhoon

dlcalhoon New Member

chevychase I am working on a 1996 Tahoe and found you pinouts on another post of yours. unfortunately you didn't include the legend and several of the circuits have a number after them, is it possible for you to include them or post it here?? thanks dlcalhoon

7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    What pinouts? There are many pinouts?

8. dlcalhoon

dlcalhoon New Member

Sorry I am working on a 1996 S10 that I have used a motor from a 1996 Tahoe to replace the 4.3 with the 5.7 from the Tahoe. You posted the pinouts for the computer pinouts but some have numbers (1) (3) (5) seem to be the most common. I know from another thread you have posted but I can't find again that these numbers are for the 4.3 and 5.7 and transmission functions.. Can you help me ...Thanks again for you informative posts.. I have learned quite a bit from scanning them, I'm just an old (61) man playing with something I knew nothing about until reading some of your sage advice. What is everyday electronics' for you is magic to me .DLCalhoon

1 person likes this.
  9. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    4.3 5.0 5.7 should be the same.each pin in these pinouts will say if for 4.3 ,or not. click here also click here for info ..wiring pinouts for connectors at 4l60e .
    Hope this is what you need. Welcome to the forum.

10. dlcalhoon

dlcalhoon New Member

YES YOU DA MAN thanks. DLCalhoon

1 person likes this.