"Stripping my 95"

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by Utah Blaine, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Utah Blaine

Utah Blaine Member

I have no idea what OBD1, OBD2, spider injection or mpfi is. I am hoping that if the engine is good (not busted from the wreck) so I can put an old school manifold on it and a quadrajet carb. That is if it has a distributor (pretty sure it does). If not I'll either sell the engine and trans or trade it for a older one.

All this drive train is for is my 67 International p/u project. When wrecked last month the engine had only been in the truck for a week. It was a brand new rebuild to replace the burned up v6 that was in it. I have 300 bucks in it and figured I could sell the rest of the truck for scrap and get my money back. Pretty cheep drive train for the 67 project! I should have pile of parts (AC compressor, dryer, electronic breaking system, etc.) to give away that are in good shape also.

I'm trying to save the wiring harness too. Is there a place on line that shows how to remove the fuse box from under the dash so I can pull it (harness from the engine side) back into the cab?

2. Utah Blaine

Utah Blaine Member

I have to take back everything I have posted about the distributer. This engine is in really good shape. After I prized the air filter off I could actually see the distributor. Not only that, I can wrap my hand around the thing and the firewall hasn't closed down around it.

The engine has a coil and a kind of carb. It has butterfly openings with some kind of spray things on top for the two barrels. I would call it a two barrel if it looked like a regular carb but this thing (carb) is round. The throttle is cable to the gas peddle. I think this will convert to an old school carb set up ok.

The front part of the frame is curled up into the motor mounts. I'll figure this later after I strip the engine some. May cut the cab off and work from there.

Anyone know where there is a chassis book on-line? I need to pull the wiring harness back through to the cab. I need the wiring harness out before I start with the cutting wheel on the dash and firewall.

3. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    You're going to make it a carb engine and I don't know much about that but.engine swappers use the 350 all the time and I heard that there are companies (like Painless) that make wiring harnesses for the gm 350 that only require 5 wire connections to make it run. If you are planning on putting this engine in your 67 International a simple wiring harness might be the way to go. I know someone that put a tbi 350 in an old jeep and he basically tested every wire until he got it running. It can be done it guess. Now I don't know how well it ran, I just know he drove it out of the garage and up a dirt road. I do think you will need the computer and wiring harness. As for the carb set up, I don't know much about that but I would appreciate some pics and updates and hopefully we will see the 67 back on the road soon.

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    OBD stands for On Board Dianostic, its where you connect to check codes early years OBD1 were basic bare bone fuel injection about all you could do is check for engine light codes, OBD2 is more complicated takes a comupter or machine to pull codes, OBD1 you could use a paper clip. Spider injection is just what it says, when you see it looks like spider legs on top the motor hence the name spider fuel injection, mpfi is a type of injection(multi port fuel injection) meaning a injector for each cyclinder.

95 should have distributor in it, think they started to faze those out about 2000 and were fully fazed out by about 07.

Fuse block should be just bolted to the firewall but may be covered up with a thick rubbery sealant might have to thumb around to find the bolts, I would keep the wire harness and ecm with the motor and keep it fuel injection, will run better and be a little better on fuel being fuel injected and won't have a finicky carb to keep tweaking on.

kbrown11 likes this.
  5. Utah Blaine

Utah Blaine Member

Until I can get the engine and trans out of the truck to read the numbers I need to keep the wires. I don't know what kind of trans I have yet. I may need them for that too. If it turns out to be a early model vortec with a 700r4 trans I'll make my own wiring. It's easy enough. Like you said 4 or 5 wires.

Yea, a carb engine is what I want. I'll most likely put a blow through turbo on it later. I have a small turbo I need to have rebuild.

6. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    I do this all the time! I have a 90 tbi in my 77 now!,

where to start..
    1995 chevy 1500 computer diagram - Bing images

here is the computer diagram, it will tell you what is important, note that he engine harness is separate from the body harness and will have 5 wires to hook up to run.
    you will need a 14 psi fuel pump (holleys suck) this one is awesome and has lifetime warrantyhttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8153?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-airtex

you will wire the fuel pump into the stock relay you steal from donor truck,

keep obdI port, and the VSS sensor for lock up in the torque converter.

hardest power to find is the ign. power on run AND crank!!!! usually this is a toggle switch but then it looks like poo, your stock blinker (not hazard ) circuit is usually a good choice.

cut hole through passenger floor board and mount computer above glove box so it will stay dry. you shouldn't have to cut any wires that aren't grounds or power supplies (a/c not sure I usually toss it and put in a delete kit)

kbrown11 likes this.