Started my training for my new job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirtrider73068, Oct 7, 2017.

1. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Today was day 1 of training, learnign how to get into the computers to do our time, clock in/out request time off, can even be at home and see our work schedule see when we are schedule to be in, see the hours worked its all on computer and being able to access it at home is pretty neat so don't have to go to the office to request some like pay stubs I can print them off at home.

The training videos were something else, most on safety, chemical safety, proper lifting stuff I already know about since I dealt with that stuff for 15 years working for my town municpality. One they called it top stock safety check. You bascially check the top stock its over stock for the shelves below, you wouldn't think of the safe or unsafe issue till you get through the video and then it ask you find the safety issue of top stock that one was tough but hopefully will learn more once I get on the floor. Videos on whats for theft and how to approach it pretty much if somebody is stealing something let them go out the door and report to loss prevention but did say what to look for and how people shop lift its crazy what people will do to steal something. The sales video talks about how to interact with a customer to engage in their needs with out them saying I don't need help and walking off, you want to keep them but also understand what kind of help they need.

There was alot of info to take in and alot more to come, my nerves today was off the charts trying to learn it and hopeing I can learn and stick with it don't forced out the door. I am more of a hands on learning I have to actually do it to learn rather then read or watch a video which is good for info but for me to learn I have to do it hands on.

If anybody here has or is working retail like lowes, or somehere simalier can give some tips of what to do I am all for it, this is my first ever retail job, I have been mostly a outdoor contruction type of worker so being inside in this type of job is all new to me. My last job I had to deal with our customers driving a dump truck so I know I can handle that its the stocking inventory aspect that has me worried. I am not good with number crunching so thats going to be the kicker. If this don't work out I have 2 autozone stores that called I can go to and see if they will hire me and try that out if that don't work I don't know what I will do.

Pallet Pete, MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    I go to Lowe’s much from what I gather just find some place to hide till quitting time. If you do get out on the floor just wander around. If you see people just say hi how are you. If they ask a question just take them to the isle put them off on someone else. This is the truth try it. Glad you found work cool in summer warm in winter.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

usually when i go to a lowes its hard to find anybody for help...good luck

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I can't just take somebody to where they want and say here you go, its not what lowes is. They are customers first, they want you to take care of the customers needs. Plus I am not that type of person to say here it is there you go and walk off, Iike to help share my knowledge give them what I know so they know what to do and how to do it.

Leo thats the new generation of people they just want a paycheck or don't want to interact with somebody so they stay out of the picture, lowes has a policy you must greet a customer how ever even if just to say "Hi how you doing today" if not they frown on it and at my store been told they have fired people over not greeting the customer. My experience with lowes is I always at least have one person walk up and ask if I needed help, home depot on the other hand, never see anybody they don't walk up asking if need help and if need to find somebody you spend half your time walking around the store trying to find somebody and when you do its not their department so they have to call around to find that person, and for me just drives up my frustration. When I need help I need to see somebody tell them I need help and get it. Also just depends on the store and the managers running it and the locations they are in. My store they are not like that, they have driven that point many times. On reason I like lowes over home depot, plus home depot is geared toward contractors for big jobs then when the want to finish off the job they go to lowes. Home depot is about sales and money, lowes is about serving the customers needs.

Will see how it goes once I get more into training, its playing hel.l with my nerves think due to all the info I have to learn and know. Most times when get to check out in the store and they ask did you find everything ok, I tell them yes but would been better if I could found somebody to help me when I needed it to make a point that they need to tell the employee's to pay attention more but again its the new generation of workers its all about that paycheck anymore and its sad.

chevychase and Pallet Pete like this.
  5. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Our Home Depot had this older guy that knew where everything was and he was very...helpful I miss him now when I ask a question they say it might be over in that area well I tell them I could have said the same thing you aren’t helping me none.

chevychase likes this.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Full Member

I would go insane at Lowes I shop there and Home Depot too much lol...

Good for you buddy glad you found a job! How's it going so far?

gmctrucks, chevychase and MikeG like this.
  7. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I am loving, have to get use to being on my feet all day again, since my last job was sitting in a truck for 4 years, job before that was on my feet alot. But overall its going good, been ALOT to learn but I am picking it up so far, first thing of a morning shift you have to walk around and do inventory, basically the night stockers scan a item since its not on a shelf then you come in get your little doodad bring up the items and go checl top stock and pull it down and put it on the shelf and mark it has done, of can't find it have to say no and bill it out. The just helping customers, make the items look good shelves are nice and tidy all the stock is puled forward called zpne recovery, adn keeping everything looking good.

I been enjoying it, being inside out of the weather is nice, since we had a big cold front come in couple days ago it was pretty chilly and being inside was nice. They want me to learn the cash registar incase I get up front to help check out, and it runs on a old dos system called genisis its alot to learn but I am sure i will pick up when I get to that point. Its just nice to have a job again, plus the guys I have been working with are great and have said I have been doing real good and working hard so that says alot too.

gmctrucks and chevychase like this.
  8. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    GMC thats Home Depot for you, they hire anybody and just put them on the floor, why most don't know anything and just tell you its over there because they don't have a clue either, and lowes is more towards helping customers with their needs that anything they stress that all the time customer first then finish your job, if you don't finish it its there later to deal with.

gmctrucks and chevychase like this.
  9. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Home depot here...give them a list..they go get all...take to checkout...then load all for you.
    Lowes...AKA slowes here...hollar where is anyone? Never get loaded.
    Soon as you learn where all is...they sell shelving space to another high bidder.
    Nails on one end of the store...lumber etc. on other end.
    These store how they work..highest bid on shelving/floor space gets it.
    Same as groceries stores. I know mangers etc. at lowes..they take a lot of stuff throw it away..when another company bids higher .
    They use to let me dumpster dive..wow the stuff I got. Since they built the new store..no more freebies.

WideTheF#%Open and gmctrucks like this.
  10. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

dr I’m glad you like your job I’m happy for you buddy now turn on some tunes and Rock On