Replacing dash lights in Mazda B3000

Discussion in 'Mazda Truck Forum' started by anfontan, May 11, 2008.

1. anfontan

anfontan Member

New guy here, I checked the search function but found no posts or threads on this problem. I just want to know if I can replace the dash light for the fuel gauge by unscrewing the screws above the speedometer or do I have to do a headstand under the dash on my truck??:(
    I just don't want to take anything apart that I don't have to. Cool forum you have here by the way....
    ----------Tony

2. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Used vehicle salesman, JEEPS mostly
    Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvani
    Home Page:
    I had all my dash lights go out in my B3000 one by one and finally decided to replace them. I found it easier to remove the trim around the dash, and then the gauge face panel. Took longer, but was easier then standing on my head...lol.... depending on the year, you may want to replace them all anyways, seems they had an issue with those lights on the 98 and 99's...... Not that expensive... and will be less frustrating later.....

3. anfontan

anfontan Member

Thanks a lot for the info, junior, I figured someone had been through this out there!:) I just knew it wasn't going to be as easy as my old Chevy S-10 had been to work on, but then that truck was as basic as could be.
    My Mazda is a 2002 with 4 wd so everything is crammed in there pretty tight. I'll try to get to it this weekend, again, thanks a million!!

4. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Home Page:
    It is in there tight, and be careful with the plastic clips holding the wiring in behind the dash, they break easy... did for me anyways, and surprixingly expensive to replace. Take your time, and do not force anything, should be easy to do for the most part, just take your time.

5. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Member

Hey, did ya get the dash lights replaced? If so, how'd ya do it? I got one out on mine, and I have yet to replace it.

6. junior3382

junior3382 Senior Member

Home Page:
    #6 junior3382, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
    Your dash lights are out too huh? Cool, I thought I was really the only one with luck like this. nice to see it is a common problem with these trucks. I won't lie to ya, it is a pain in the A$$ to get it done buddy. You have to pretty much dismantle the whole dash assembly. But like I suggested for him, take your time and be patient.

Here is a pick. Start with these arrows and remove these screws, and then move to the steering column and remove the plastic covering.

Once you remove these, the remaining screws will reveal themselves. Keep track of which ones they are and where they go. Like I said take your time.

[​IMG]

7. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Member

Thought I'd resurrect and old thread :D

I never did replace the dash light on my B3000, but now another has gone out :flamingmad:

So, I'm about ready to take a Saturday and tear into it. My question is, does anybody here know what bulb the dash lights on my 2002 Mazda B3000 4x4 takes? I'd like to have the replacement bulbs before I go tearing into the guage cluster.

Thanks.

8. Pantharen

Pantharen Senior Member

They'll be the same bulb as a 2002 Ford Ranger.