Ram 9.25 Rearend noise

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by Suzukirm250, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Suzukirm250

Suzukirm250 New Member

hoping someone on here with some experience and not just an opinion can help me out. I have an 02 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 9.25 rearend. I had a buddy rebuild the rearend completely. All bearings,Dana spicer limited slip carrier, ring and pinion and Dorman axles. Used Lucas lube for limited slip diffs. Drives great straight but when turning right and only right it howls. Not like the plates in the carrier either. To avoid losing a friend I took it to the Dodge dealer. They told me the outer axle bearings were installed to far in. My understanding there is a shoulder in the axle tubes that wouldn't allow that. Anyways I let them change them for $550 and of course it sounds the same! They will check it out again for free but won't eat that $550! Junk Dorman axles maybe? Carrier not set up right?? Any help much appreciated!

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

HMMmmm, Boy, 250, welcome to the forum.
    Usually ofan axle bearing is going out, when making a left turn, the right side bearing will make the noise as the weight of the vehicle, through gravitational forces, is shifted to the opposite side as what the wehicle is being turned.
    And yes, there are stops built into the axle tubes. I have never heard of installing a bearing in too deep.
    On another note, it also could be a ring gear carrier bearing. I`m just not sure about that though.

3. Suzukirm250

Suzukirm250 New Member

I thought about one of the carrier bearings other than it seems like it would make noise going straight too. I'm concerned with the new Dorman axles too. Started digging into more reviews on them and sound like a lot fail prematurely. Bearing fit not within tolerance? Pull the wheel off and I know there is in and out play but probably in my head but almost seems to move up and down a little. Could be why the dodge mechanic changed the outer bearings even though they were new. Doesn't explain him lying saying they were installed too far the first time though. Maybe try different brand of axles? I should of just bought a complete rearend with a warranty for $2100 but now I'm too far into this to not fix it.