Questions

Discussion in 'Other Trucks' started by KTRY94, Feb 14, 2018.

1. KTRY94

KTRY94 New Member

So, I hope this doesn't sound like a bad question or is one you have gotten far too much, but I am trying to plan out a project for the Cadet Corp in my town. It's an engineer corp, and what they really want is a military Hummer. They came to us and showed us how much they cost in America on surplus, and while the price was reasonable should they do good on their fundraising events, sponsors allowing, it's fuel economy is terrible.between 6-11 mpg, or 2.5 - 4.6 km/L. This is unreasonable for us, as while the purpose of the vehicle is very much something even the board had to admit we would enjoy, it doesn't justify the cost and environmental impact.

Here is where the fact we don't like saying no to our cadets without exploring every option comes in. We sat down and researched the unique characteristics of the vehicle. The way the Frame and the body work is, primarily, in our eyes, the part we are most interested in. We are also willing to build what we can as we have access to plenty of tools and equipment. I'm not talking milling the individual parts, but we have access to a lot of build resources. We fully know it's better to buy what parts we can, etc etc.

I suppose what I'm asking is, is this even feasible? I'm personally having a hard time finding anything regarding the axel arrangement which is probably going to be the harder part. Admittedly, I don't know much regarding the finer details of trucks in general. Would anyone be able to help?

MikeG likes this.
  2. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    The axels are just half shafts (or CV Axels) at all for corners. The differentials are set up higher for ground clearance. Brake rotors are mounted directly on the differential, and half shafts bolted to the rotor.

I was a Mechanic in the Army. If you are looking for one, try to find an M1057. That model had a better transmission as well as transfer case. Make sure to stay away from the M998, those are complete pieces of chit. They only have/ had a 3 speed trans and sucked trying to climb any steep incline. Although both of them have the 6.5L GM diesel, neither had a turbo. When we started getting the M1114 Up-Armors, those had a 6.5 Turbo. Hopefully I answered your question about the axels.......?

WideTheF#%Open likes this.
  3. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Left Lane Cowboy & Truck Driving Hero
    MikeG, "You Da Man!!!" LOL. Hey, OP, what about buying an old VW Thing, kinda like a Kubelwagen in the German Army? Some dude had one of those in Coronado, had it all painted up with a sweet camo paint job, thing looked awesome and was heaps of fun to drive, being a convertible and all. Better mileage than a Hummer, no doubt, LOL. Or maybe you could build one or two recon vehicles, maybe a copy of one of those Army sandrails? Granted, space is limited, but the cadets would dig riding in it... just my $.02 as a site member, I know you can go bigger and buy an old deuce-and-a-half, plenty of those still around, but they don't get great mileage either. I'm thinking a VW or a recon rail, that would be a great project for the young troops, easy to build and fun to cruise around in, LOL. :mtruck:

MikeG likes this.