Problem with 88 gmc 1 ton

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by jrsrcvry, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jrsrcvry

jrsrcvry Member

I have bought this truck from California and rebuilt the top end on the way home with it. Now i am having a problem with a sensor and i have replaced all of them and still the truck is sucking air way bad. I am wondering it is a TBI and wanted to see if I can Just change the intake and distrutor and make it work or if the heads are series 2 that year or not.

2. 72'CaminoKid

72'CaminoKid Senior Member

give us some more info on the problem if possible.....

3. jrsrcvry

jrsrcvry Member

Well it sounds like a vacuum leak. And it runs like a vac. leak. I got a tip that it might be the gasket under the throttle body is cracked or has pulled into the intake. The throttle body is just sucking a massive amount of air.

4. jrsrcvry

jrsrcvry Member

There are alot of wires that are cut or spliced under the hood. I mean i am good with older car and vaccum with HEI and carburated but not the new stuff and the whole electrical stuff.

5. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

professional blimp pilot and rodeo clown
    It is easy to convert to carb and hei with these older models. The hardest part is a fuel pressure regulator to drop fuel pressure from around 12-13 to around 8 psi. Other than that it is simply finding a 12 volt power supply for the ignition system that works off the switch. No biggie, but i agree it sounds like a vacuum leak. Did you use the gaskets, or RTV at the front and back of the intake manifold? The gaskets are junk and almost always leak.

6. jrsrcvry

jrsrcvry Member

I did not replace it I had it done at a shop. And the guy builds race cars so i would hope that he knows what he was doing but i think that is something i am going to call him and ask. Well i am going to go work on this thing. If there are any more suggestions i would appreciate it.

7. chevyguy

chevyguy Senior Member

professional blimp pilot and rodeo clown
    The pro that built the motor does not eliminate it, I am sure you know that, but accidents can happen and Unless I miss my guess, I suspect a vacuum leak at the front or rear of the intake. You can find out with a can of wd 40. Simple.