Posi or Not

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by gmctrucks, Jan 15, 2018.

1. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#1 gmctrucks, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Guys my old boss says that it’s better to have a non posi on your ride than a posi if driving in snow or ice what do you think I wouldn’t know because it’s super rare that we get snow or ice here in east Texas??

I do know when in mud or grass that has a tad of water with a non posi your stuck once one tire starts spinning.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    He is right little bit of wetness on road and the tires spin out. So in icy snowy areas its a bad idea. To me posi is for those hot roads that throwing down alot of power to ground and want both tires spinning to leave two black marks instead of one.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  3. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    well controlled with a posi is better as in more traction, but i live in snow (about 2 ft in the yard now) and am very used to how my 77 does with the posi, yes if you are flooring it and it kicks in it will suck your truck sideways, i also have 4wd in both trucks. my 12 has a locker and that's way more violent of a lock than a posi especially when the turbo spools at the same time. my camaro has a posi as well and i dont have traction on a VHT prepped track either (spool this spring), and i should note i have real lockers yukon or grizzly and POSI not the POS gov locks from the stock vehicles in the gm ares they stink and fords like to stay locked in.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  4. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

On my 1987 Burb I had it had posi the wheels would lock up right away but it took a crap so I changed it out and I would have to get to a certain speed for both wheels to spin I fact I would get into mud in two wheel drive just to see how far I could go in mud and it did good then when I couldn’t go more I would put it on 4X4 and she was out.

Now to me a posi in snow would be better just don’t start digging because if no posi it would be just a one leg wonder and not move once it starts spinning.

And yes posi is good on hot days instead of just staying in one spot for a while.