please help- tire questions :)

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by gatorgirl, Feb 13, 2014.

1. gatorgirl

gatorgirl New Member

Boatswain Mate, U.S. Navy
    So, here's the deal.
    I've got a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD with just over 50k on it. She's all stock and I intend on keeping it that way because it's a 2wd so it would be silly to upgrade much. However, I need new tires. One blew out last week and the tread on the others is looking pretty poor. Right now I have LT245/75R16 but I'm highly considering 265/75/16. Do y'all think that would be alright? I've read that 285's rub and I don't want to mess with that.
    Also, to add on- can you guys throw out some suggestions? I am looking to go a tad bigger (obviously) and I need some decent tread. I'm not going to be driving through mountains or flingin' mud around but, I want to know that if I'm driving on the road, over some snow/ice and through puddles I'll be alright.
    Please help! I appreciate it so much ahead of time :)

2. batty1214

batty1214 Full Member

Mine Mechanic(tire guy)
    As for what brand, and a suggested tire, what kind of money are you willing to spend. As for size, the 265/75/R16 is a really popular size, looks better than the stock size, and shouldn't have any fitment issues.

3. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to locate two
    2nd hand Toyo 265-75-16's!
    (my lil outburst of a rant for the day!)

4. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

My brother put 285 on his HD but he did have it lifted a tad we like our trucks to look even/leval and im sure my bro has Yoko tires.

Keep an eye on the idler pulley bearing they also sell a kit for the fuel if it starts to leak.

5. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Jack of all trades, master of none
    Your OEM tire size has a little room to expand upon and not have any issues. I'm assuming that you are going to keep the stock wheels, right? It might help you to know what those numbers actually mean. The first number (245) is the tread width in millimeters. Divide it by 25.4 to convert to inches. The second number is called the aspect ratio and is 75 in your case. It is simply a percentage and is used to describe the sidewall height of the tire. On your OEM tires as an example....the sidewall height is found by taking that 245 and multiplying it by .75. You then need to divide it by 25.4 to convert it to inches. To find the overall diameter of a particular tire size....you take the sidewall height in inches....multiply it by two....and add the rim diameter.

245/75R16

245/25.4 = 9.645" tread width
    (245*0.75)/25.4 = 7.234" sidewall height
    (7.234*2)+16 = 30.468" overall diameter

You mentioned going to a 265/75R16 and possibly a 285/75R16 tire. Think about how they would differ from OEM. Obviously, the tread width is going to be increased by 20mm (0.787") and 40mm (1.575") respectively....but it will also mean that the overall diameter will increase as well. Going to a 285/75R16 tire will be right there at the diameter that you start to see rubbing (32.83"). If you want a 285 series tire, just find you one that has a lower aspect ratio than 75 and you should have no problems. As a matter of fact, a 285/65R16 tire is only 0.15" larger in diameter than stock (so it won't throw off your speedo/odometer by anything worth worrying about)....but will still be 1.575" wider than stock. It's up to you. Just play with different tire sizes and now that know what the numbers mean....it should help you decide.

I have an app on my phone that allows you to quickly compare different sizes. I took some screenshots of some various sizes for you that wouldn't rub and all be wider....and only a tad larger....to a bit larger in diameter. I also included your stock size for comparison.

Attached Files:

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

first you will need the oem extra 2 suspension, might need to warm the front plastic fender wells if they are deformed in any way, yes it is poss to do, however 245 is the path of easy....when you drive ice and snow you need to put around 500#s of weight behind the fender well in the box to aid in traction....

7. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

We don't get snow much down here, but I have always wondered if the same holds true for snow as it does water....I have always been told that the more surface area (wider tire)....the more prone to hydroplaning you are going to be due to the increased surface area. Is snow the same or the opposite?

It always surprised me to drive my M38-A1 army jeep through some pretty sticky situations....and those tires were only a few inches wide. I know mud isn't the same as hydroplaning....but I would think they are related. What do y'all think?

8. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

What kind of tread depth are you looking for as a minimum? Price? I might have an option for you.

9. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

You can always do the "good ol boy" technique for a 2WD truck and get some aggressive larger tires out back and if you have two of the OEM size tires that are still good....put em out front.

1 person likes this.
  10. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    1 person likes this.