Need help with doing a rebuild 1994 Silverado 1500 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by KnockinTurtle, May 17, 2017.

1. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    If you get time can you give us a close up picture of inside the head on the two cylinders where gasket is blown and also o the pistons that go with those cylinders?

2. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

#22 KnockinTurtle, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Ok I will have to buy a lifter remover tool to check them I tried using flat head but they dont want to pop out they wiggle a little. is there a certain depth the cylinder can go down?

3. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

CYL. 6 & 4
    [​IMG]
    CYL. 4
    [​IMG]
    CYL. 2
    [​IMG]
    Head CYL. 4 & 6
    [​IMG]

4. mowfixer

mowfixer Full Member

Retired
    #24 mowfixer, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Its hard with pictures but I dont see any obvious damage other than blown gasket. When a gasket blows like this many times you have ignition on one cylinder also igniting the one next to it through the break in the head gasket.

When mine blew I had terrible pinging and spark knock that made the truck hard to drive. Funny that yours blew on the same two cylinders as mine and in the exact same place on the gasket as yours.

Your making good progress and you didnt mention breaking off any exhaust manifold bolts so you can thank your lucky stars. I had to drill one exhaust bolt out and it was not fun.

Good Job

KnockinTurtle likes this.
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

should be able to pull lifters with a decent magnet, think what i saw on cyl is just a funny carbon pattern

6. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Cylinders look ok, use a bright light and shine down at a angle to the cylinder walls look for small knicks or gouges, may get away with a just new head gaskets and fire it right up. For the lifters sometimes its like the ridge on the top of the cylinders there is a ridge on the lifters maybe work the lifter up and down to get past it or spray something in there, they will come out just go easy and force them out.

7. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

So I am putting on new timing chain and gears, I see I have the 1 piece oil pan gasket, Soooooooo looks like I have to tackle that next and try and find easiest way to drop oil pan? as I will order a oil pan gasket kit

I see the oil pumps are not too much, should I replace since I have to take the oil pan off? I see they have normal and high volume pumps, My truck is stock so im guessing I should stick with standard oil pump correct?

The chain has a lot of slop, gears looks little worn , I have new ones ready to go in. but got halted as I didnt think i would have to do oil pan gasket too

8. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I had a 82 chevy the timing set went out gears stripped plastic over metal didn't make sense, IIRC once I got to teh timing cover it or the oil pan was one piece, I just kinda pryed it enough to get timing cover off, put new gasket on with some dabs of rtv, let it sit overnight got up for work next morning and took off, never had a issue.

If going to go through the trouble of dropping oil pan you may as well put a new oil pump in it while you have access to it, just remember the distrib shaft runs down to the oil pump shaft and the cam shaft turns both, there is a slot the oil pump shaft slips into the distrib it will need to be lined up to go back in to place.

9. KnockinTurtle

KnockinTurtle Member

So you left the 1 piece oil pan gasket on and put RTV around the bottom of the timing cover? and put a new timing cover gasket on

10. dirtrider73068

Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Something like that, but this was back in around 98 when I had to the truck, I can't remember exactly what I did, but along these lines, I had limited tools, limited time, and needed it running to get to work the next day. If your in a pinch and need it running could go this route, but if you have time do it right drop the pan.