My wife wanted me to get a hobby

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kennyray, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    So I ordered this....:applaud: canvas.jpg
    .44 caliber cap and ball. Can't wait to get it!

2. ISLAND TRITON

ISLAND TRITON Full Member

I approve :woot::applaud::woot:

6 people like this.
  3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Cool!! Mine wanted me too also..truck forum.org happened!! But she keeps me busy with her honey dos list.

6 people like this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

awesome, hope you have enough room to play in the back yard

7 people like this.
  5. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    I don't, but we do have an outdoor range where I can shoot for 5 bucks a day.

7 people like this.
  6. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    I just applied for a gun permit last week. Finally convinced the wife we need something for home protection.

6 people like this.
  7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    For get permits ..they/big brother.. will know where to get...if you travel put clip/bullets in trunk..gun in sight be good to go.
    Most states even with permit have to do this if you travel. Plus if you travel .just obey speed limits etc..never get pulled over.
    Buy a gun from a individual..looking to sell ..easy to find these. You see what obam,er is up too..he and hillary/hag will get this gun thing approved!!!!!!!!!

4 people like this.
  8. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

You are going to like that pistol.
    I have two, a .36 cal Remington Cabellas copy My brother bought for Me, also, a .44 cal Colt Navy copy, like what Clint Eastwood uses in the Pale Rider. The Colt not as nicely built as the Remingtons, a bit weaker without having the back strap above the cylinder.
    Using black powder requires a thorough scrubbing almost immediately after each use. I use this Thompson Center T17 solution. Requires no water, swab it on and wipe it off, until no residue is left. Do not allow components to soak for any length of time in the stuff, will cause all sorts of corrosion. Use a tooth brush, swab and scrub the rub until thoroughly dry.
    Use a powder measure and a charging flask. They claim to use about 1/2 grains of powder as to what the caliber is, in this case 22 grains of BP. Try that for a while, it will seem mild, too mild, I upped Mine quite a bit, I don`t remember how many grains I am up to on the 44, I have been loading Mine to where the ball is just below flush of the cylinder, makes a he~ck of a boooom now. Accuracy is quite good too. Sounds now more like .357 magnum. Front sight on My .36 cal Cabellas is tall, way too tall, I am going to remove it, install a set screw and use the barrel for the sight, be about right then.
    If You did not get the starter kit, those are kind of handy but not necessary, just gets You to the range quicker.
    I have a fair collection of lead, whenever I am needing sinkers, I always cast a bunch of boooolits tooo.
    I did get two extra cylinders for the .36 cal; Just in case I gets into a real heavy fire fight. :applaud::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Also, for the .44 cal, there is a cartridge cylinder conversion that can be had to adapt them to a Black Powder Brass Case{BPBC} pistol too. I think it requires an FFL getting involved though. Sort of spendy too, I figure a feller just as well buy a pistol outright for the cost difference.

1/2 ways between the nipples, there is a slot cut into the cylinder, set the hammer down into one of the slots for safety. No need to leave one cylinder uncapped that aways. Like with the 6 shot cartridge pistols, used to leave one cylinder empty for the hammer to set on the empty bore.

It really does not matter much of the brand of BP, one type is about as corrosive, from the salts, as the next. Mostly FFF is for the pistol, FF for rifle and F for cannons. FFF also is better for the flash pan in a flint lock too, just ignites easier.

9. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Looking at the pic. again, if that front sight is that tall, You will need to aim about four foot over the target at about 25 to 30 yards in order to get close.
    How ridicules for them to send out those pistols with an unusable sight onit. They can be ground down but that is not the point.

3 people like this.
  10. poncho62

poncho62 Full Member

semi retired
    Home Page:
    Hobbies?....I collect little tractors, no permit needed. Wife says I have too many though..........

[​IMG]

7 people like this.