LT265/70x17 E-load tires vs 'normal' 265/70x17: pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Brett, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Brett

Brett New Member

I'm looking to upgrade the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my Chevy Avalanche in the near future before I start towing a ~7000 pound trailer. All of my driving to date has been on paved roads, so I figure I'll go with a highway tire for a replacement. I have been looking at the highly rated Michelin Defender LTX M/S, but the price was a bit of a turnoff (this is my first truck, and first truck tire change so it's still a shock to me coming from passenger car tires!). The Sumimoto Encounter HT, although it doesn't have quite as many reviews on Tirerack as the Michelin, edges it out performance wise almost completely across the board for a substantially lower price, and their warranty seems as good or better.

Now here is the conundrum - there are two versions of the tire in my size. An 'E' load rated, non-UTQG rated version at $136.20 with 16/32" tread depth(!!!) that weighs 54 pounds and has a max load of 3195 pounds or the 'normal' tire with 600 UTQG, costs $117.04, has a 'typical' 12/32" tread depth, weighs 42 pounds, and has a max load of 2679 pounds. I assume the tread compound is the same, so I'd be gaining 50% more tread depth/service life, at only 16% more cost, BUT I am adding 50 pounds of unsprung weight to my truck which will affect my gas mileage and handling to some extent. I feel like the max weight shouldn't be an issue as even the normal tires exceed my rear axle limit, however, maybe because they are heavier tires, they'll 'feel' better or actually perform better under heavy load? Or perhaps offer better puncture/blowout protection? I'm guessing the extra material goes in the sidewall so it would help prevent unrepairable sidewall tears/blowouts? Another factor to consider is my annual mileage. In the roughly 10 months that I've owned the truck, I've only put 7000 miles on it. So perhaps the tires will dry out from ozone and UV damage before I wear them out anyways?

Anyone have some opinions or strong arguments about which route to go? Thanks!

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

better tires make for safer towing......

WideTheF#%Open likes this.
  3. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    How much towing do you do with that 7000 lb trailer? If you tow a lot go with the Load Range E tire. If you tow that trailer a lot then you want the extra plys to avoid blow outs. The price of the tire might be good but you will have to see how it holds up to use. I always hear you get what you pay for. I have always bought Load Range E tires because I do some hauling and the last thing I want is a blow out when my truck is fully loaded. My dad had a dodge with street tires and was hauling some wood and had a blow out. He had to unload some of the wood to change the tire. It ruined his rim. So he saved some money with the street tires but that one blow out cost him a tire and rim.

WideTheF#%Open likes this.
  4. Brett

Brett New Member

Bought the Sumimotos and even though they are a LT tire, they ride way quieter and smoother than the stock Goodyears and no more squealing rubber on hard accelerations!

WideTheF#%Open and kbrown11 like this.
  5. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    i had a 0 avalanche and i towed my 7200lb trailer thousands of miles on p tires! never had an issue, the tread depth is rated for average mileage of said compound which can change in relation to ply ratings.

6. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    Go With Load range E tires. Better to have the load capacity and not need it then need it and blow a tire.

MikeG likes this.
  7. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    #7 smokybandit, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:18 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    Check in to Yokohamas A/T-S, they are $85 tire for LT265/75R16 E rating. should only be 5-6 dollars more for 17" rim size. I can vouch for the tires, I put 50-60k miles/years hauling rv's twice that weight you are asking about. I keep 2 full size spares due to the amount of driving i do.
    20160706_132215.jpg