Looking for the right truck!

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by jibberishballr, May 12, 2017.

1. jibberishballr

jibberishballr New Member

Hi all!

I'm looking to find the right truck. I've been researching but am hoping for suggestions.

I currently drive a sports car and have for the last 10 years, but moving out into the country I've started needing a truck. I'm selling my car and would like to replace with a truck that meets my criteria:

1. Around 10k used with around 100k miles or less
    2. Reliable
    3. Gets good gas mileage (coming from 30mpg) and hoping to get at least 20 in the truck. It'll be my primary vehicle to commute to work
    4. Can transport furniture, 2x4s, plywood, etc, and can move furniture when needed
    5. Can fit a car seat (i have a 4 year old)
    6. Doesn't have to have a lot of power, but i'd like to be able to get on the freeway ;)
    That's all i can think of at the moment, but feel free to ask more questions. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks!

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    In my area your lucky to find a 10k priced truck with less than 100k on the clock. Most trucks will haul anything, my truck is a short bed and will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it. Mileage most newer trucks get about 20 if going easy, if your lucky, If needing to fit a car seat may look into a ext cab, its not easy to put 2 people and a car seat in a reg cab truck, I have done it.

The GM 5.3 has plenty of power to get up to speed, far as dodge can't speak from experiance they do run but mileage on dodge truck is something awful, ford I couldn't say much either.

Best advise I can say is go to google and search make model truck with issues and problems and will get a idea of what to look for.

3. WideTheF#%Open

WideTheF#%Open Full Member

Monkeybiker
    Speaking as one who relocated from coastal CA to the White Mountains of AZ last September, I have a few questions for ya... I raise these questions because they will help you narrow your search.

1) Do you need 4WD or can you get by with 2WD? Factors such as winter weather, ruggedness of roads, potential clearance issues, etc., will affect your decision here... if you can get by on 2WD with good rubber & suspension, that will open up a lot of options, and your money will go farther.

2) Are you okay with buying an older truck that has been well-maintained, preferably by one good conscientious owner? Because your money can also go farther by doing so, even though more time and effort may be spent in your search. Fortunately, modern Internet searches cut heaps o' wasted time out of the equation.

3) Do you really need a truck at all? Or can you beef up the family sedan or wagon and add a roof rack and possibly a hitch? I don't know where ya live, but here we have fairly cheap pickup & box truck rentals on a daily-rate basis... a pickup with added insurance can be rented all day for under $50.

When I first arrived here in AZ, my Camry was fine... the rubber was good and easily handled winter weather, my minibike fit in the back seat, my small cartoppable sailboat rode easily topside-down on the roof, etc. A few months later, I bought a pit bike so that friends who visited could go trail riding with me... at that point, I thought I needed to buy a truck so I could haul both bikes around, 10-4? I spent some time on the web, looking at various secondhand trucks for sale, and there were some nice ones available for relatively cheap... I had the cash to go buy one too, but then I looked into hitches and cargo carriers, and I wound up buying a hitch and cargo carrier (platform) for $200. By doing so, I saved myself heller money, as I'll probably get another 100,000 miles out of this 15-year-old Camry (it has over 200,000 miles on it now and still runs like a champ). :road:

I still intend to eventually buy a truck, because a truck is handy in the country, no doubt about it. When the Camry ultimately blows a head gasket or otherwise becomes more trouble than it's worth to repair, THAT is when I'll buy a pickup, yeah? My whole line of thought here is: can you reevaluate your needs and modify your current vehicle to serve as a transitional rig? WTF, if they make hitches for '02 Camrys, they probably make hitches for whatever make & model you own, and there are such things as utility trailers for rent or purchase. Making an occasional move or hauling stuff with a car is perfectly feasible, ya just go easy on the motor and don't haul everything in one trip. :slow:

Don't get me wrong, as a former OTR trucker with heaps of winter & mountain driving experience, I like trucks and I look forward to owning a pickup again, I just saw a window of transitional opportunity and I took it, aye? I run Cooper Arizonian (sic) Silver Edition tires on my Camry, best and longest-lasting car tires I've ever run, and I do all the work on the car myself, which also saves money... when I eventually buy another pickup, I'll do the same, and the money I save will help to buy the best available fluids for the motor, and top-shelf parts for the rig. So, simply reevaluate your perceived need for a truck... or your need for a truck RIGHT NOW, yeah? Perhaps you can "repurpose" your current rig for the time being, which would give you additional time to research the best possible truck for you and your family down the road. :applaud:

All this is just my opinion, not to be taken too seriously UNLESS you wanna save some money, LOL. DISCLAIMER: I'm a notoriously cheap bastard, and I don't need the latest model year of jacked-up disco truck to impress women... a real country gal will love me for my SWEET DISPOSITION, otherwise she can hit the road (and not let the screen door bang her @$$ on her way out, LOL). Hell, the White Mountains are as COUNTRY as country gets, and there are gnarly rutted dirt roads within spitting distance of my forest home, but that's why I have the mini and the pit bike, 10??? I expect to run this Camry into the dirt before I buy a truck, and I'll take great pleasure in doing so... WTF, the stereo and A/C still crank, the rig hauls my boat as well as both bikes, and if it looks a little like a white trash beater, that's okay because there are plenty of those up here too, LOL. :btruck:

ALRIGHT, THAT'S MY $.02 FWIW, JUST TOSSIN' IT OUT THERE BECAUSE I'M IN THE SAME SITUATION, AND I INTEND TO EVENTUALLY BUY ANOTHER PICKUP... CHEERS!!! :mtruck: