I am new here and want to buy my first truck pls advise

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by Godot, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Godot

Godot New Member

This would technically be my first time actually buying a car that cost a lot. All of my other cars were old cars purchased with cash. I got an internship that pays ok. I am tired of driving my box. I am finding the process of buying a car to be annoying. I dont understand why these car dealers keep blowing up phone and email. They seem to really want me to come in.

I really don't want to spend no more than 22k. I found a few trucks within that figure but its hard for me to gauge if these offers are too good to be true.

I am suppose to look at a 2012 F150 supercrew XTL saturday. It has about 50k miles, 3.5l Vturbo 4x4 drive. Price $23,500. The pictures look nice but carfax reveals that it was involved in an accident that was rated moderated to severe; front end damage. The pictures show no such damage. I am not sure if the title is legit. I am questioning this one and this dealer is two hours away from me.

Monday I am suppose to look at a 2010 f150 supercrew xtl 60k 4x4 V8 miles $22,000. The picture looks nice. The dealer is like twenty minutes from me.

*Yes obviously I like fords*

1 person likes this.
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

what area do you live in? can make a difference in pricing

2 people like this.
  3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    If you have good/great credit..your the boss..if they post 22k..get it for 18k or less at a dealer. Your doing right carfax etc....You have the right to have it inspected at another stealership.
    They all are liars and full of it. Make you feel like #1 till you purchase,then have a problem you are who? I would not pay the prices they want for these trucks today!!
    Just take your time it is a big purchase..look up technical service bulletins on these also..see if they were brought in for the bulletins fix etc.
    Good luck on your endeavor.

2 people like this.
  4. Godot

Godot New Member

I am in KY. Trucks cost more in the rural areas because of the culture of the area (people like trucks/need them) compare to the cities. This is just my observation. I already got a dealer to take almost 4k off the car before I even came in and looked at it. He called me back saying that his manager was willing to cut me a break or some bs. I realize it didnt have 4x4 drive so I told him I wasnt interested.

2 people like this.
  5. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Are you financing or paying cash?

1 person likes this.
  6. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Check with the "craigslist.org" adds, in Your search, You can specify the make, model and the year, even price range.
    If You find one that is to Your liking, take a look at it, carfax the unit, look until You are satisfied that the wehicle You are desiring will be the right purchase.
    Private seller is always a LOT less than the dealer, just tick the box that says private, all or dealer only.
    Even can tick the box for surrounding area, will give You a big O~L list of cities/towns in the area that You are searching in.
    If financing, go to Your bank, tell tham which unit You have in line, have the owner go in so that You both are there at the same time. geterdone.
    If You are buying from a private individual, with cash in hand, meet in a public place, even the courthouse, If public building allows, take along a concealed weapon, bear spray, pistol ETC, also a good friend, armed. Do not need anyone getting robbed.
    I would thingk that, in Your suggested price range that, there will be a whole bunch of very nice 4X4 in Your area.

Welcome to the forum godot.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

You seem pretty savvy - just frustrated with the process. New or used car salesmen will come at you in waves just to make a sale. Be patient and do not rush into anything.

Do your research like you did; CarFax, etc. What is the "box" that you are currently driving?

To be perfectly honest, and if you are handy with a wrench, you could buy an older truck that has a great frame and is otherwise in decent shape and fix it up to your liking.

Here is an example: I bought an '88 Chevy K1500 that needed a LOT of work. The body and frame were in great shape and that was what was most important to me. To date, I only have$5,500 I the truck with purchase price and ALL repairs!

I plan on buying new hood, both doors, and replacing the carpet and head liner. Finally I will get it painted. I will have roughly $11,000 in the truck when all done and it will be like a new truck!

You could have a TON of fun and learn a lot if you do something similar.

3 people like this.
  8. Godot

Godot New Member

I think I am going to have to do the private dealer route. If my experience at the dealership today is "normal" (my time ever going to one), I rather not deal with it. Honestly I did think about just buying something really old and fixing it myself. I really dont know much but I can easily learn.

3 people like this.
  9. klausmkl

klausmkl Senior Member

Why Fords? Have you looked at their engine? Do you really want to buy a truck with a plastic intake manifold? If you must look for years prior to them using plastic pieces in an engine same with chevy.

2 people like this.
  10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

not true...seems city yuppies like to pay more....dont be afraid of looking out of state, just watch out for flood vehicles

2 people like this.