Gear oil, 1996 Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by kd7ctv, Dec 15, 2017.

1. kd7ctv

kd7ctv Full Member

I wish.
    Honestly I wasn't going to use anything other then the gasket. I got the cork one for it.

MikeG likes this.
  2. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    I found this on another site:

Differential Housing Cover Bolts (Except 11.0 Inch Axle)

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Differential Housing Cover Bolts (11.0 Inch Axle)

47 N·m

35 lb ft

Drain Plug

33 N·m

24 lb ft

Fill Plug

33 N·m

24 lb ft

3. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician

I've always been a huge fan of using Brake cleaner for nasty oily parts. We use this at work, WEICON Cleaner Spray S 500ml Metal Surface Cleaner & Degreaser,

It will melt grease and oil off the surface with ease, also leaving no residue. I have a small supply at home, and the only down fall is it is real pricey. I use it after using the Auto Store bought/ cheaper stuff (for the initial cleaning), to do a nice finish cleaning.

4. kd7ctv

kd7ctv Full Member

I wish.
    And it's done.. Went with the 30 ft lbs on the cork gasket. Took forever to get the oil in it, because of course it's chilly here. But it's done so one less thing to worry about, or have to deal with. Thanks for all the input guys.

MikeG likes this.
  5. hatzie

hatzie Full Member

Folks confuse the Eaton G80 locker, that GM used in light trucks, with the Limited-Slip units from Eaton and Auburn among others (commonly known as posi) Diffs factory installed in automobiles. They are very different pieces of equipment.
    The Eaton G80 Locker... You guessed it... Locks both axles together so both wheels get the same force from the engine and transmission.
    A limited slip diff uses clutches to limit the amount the low traction wheel actually spins but the axles are not completely locked together.

GM says that Limited Slip Additive makes the automatic locking mechanism in the G80 locker too grabby and beats the heck out of the diff and your tires.

More concise descriptions of the pros and cons here...Locker Vs. Limited-Slip - Differential - Detroit - Off-Road Tech - Off-Road Magazine

MikeG likes this.