Explanation of description on Ford trucks for sale?

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by Dinoman, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dinoman

Dinoman Full Member

I see the following

"Never been chipped". What does chipping do and what is the negative or positive for "chipping"?

"EGR delete". I understand that the EGR delete is to bypass emissions controls. Other than the fact it's likely at minimum slightly illegal, what are the benefits for having this done? What does it cost to do this roughly? [For valuation purposes]

"New heads and injectors". What's the approximate cost of doing this work? Would this be considered an engine rebuild or just a partial rebuild? If the heads and injectors were done, should this eliminate in most situations any need to rebuild the engine for 200,000 kms or more?

I know little about engines and am trying to understand the basics.

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    What year, model and engine/transmission are we talking about here?

"Chipped" normally means a performance chip or custom tune has been added or done to the PCM. In other words, the truck computers are stock. Which is a good thing.

EGR delete wont do much for it, but if you have emissions inspections, it could cause an issue with "tampering" of federally mandated emissions controls systems.

I'd find out why the heads and injectors were done. Could have been an overheat condition.

1 person likes this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

There are different "CHIPS" for different performance levels.
    It could be that this pickumup truck You are looking at had been chipped, had the doggiedooos run out of it, cracked the heads, poured some prestone into the crank case, maybe doing some damage on the bearings and now, they are wanting to dump it.
    That is My "WORST CASE SCENARIO" and can also be taken with a grain of salt.

4 people like this.
  4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

OH YES, the different years will have different prices on heads and injectors, some are REALLY EXPENSIVE and some are not priced too bad.
    Before starting the engine, crack the drain plug on the oil pan, wait for about one minute while watching, see if there is any prestone or watery substance comes out the bottom of the pan. If there is water or prestone in the crankcase, it will be at the very bottom, oil floats on water, and it will be the first thing to come trickling down the threads.
    If the engine runs, fire it up, let it run for a while, then, check the dipstick, see if there is any sluckish looking brown stuff hanging to it.
    If either of these happen then, RUN !

4 people like this.
  5. Dinoman

Dinoman Full Member

Thanks. I'm not focused on one particular truck as yet, but invariably every ad has reference to one of more of these. I'm looking at 2004 to 2008 range and 200,000 to 250,000 km trucks or 140,000 miles to 180,000 miles for USA guys

4 people like this.
  6. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

If done properly, 'chipped' is fine. If not done correctly then........

Sounds like you have found a ad for a vehicle or sale and are trying to decipher what the seller posted.

If this is the case my suggestion is to test drive the vehicle; do a CarFax report; and have it checked out at a reputable repair shop (scanned, etc.).

I used to take what people told me at face value. Now, after having been burned, I do some research and run some checks.

3 people like this.
  7. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

You looking for diesel or gas?

3 people like this.
  8. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Forget chips..unless good sea salt kettle fried chips....chip is set parameters ..get a tuner...not tuna but a tuner..like bully dog..or black bear..can tune the way you wants..even the shift points .of the trans...yea.

3 people like this.
  9. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 person likes this.
  10. Dinoman

Dinoman Full Member

Where I'm looking [Alberta] and the year and mileage, invariable each ad has some sort of reference to this three items. Chipped, not chipped, EGR delete, injectors, heads.

Out of 140 ads for trucks in the 2004-2008 range, I'd say 60 have a reference to at least one of the above items. I understand the principles behind getting mechanics to look at each truck and the like, and intend to once I narrow the search down.

So if the head and injectors have been done, in my mind I'm adding $2000 value to truck. The reason is the 6.0 Powerstroke seems to have issues and it appears that if the truck is closing in on 220,000 miles, it's likely that I may be looking at some sort of engine overhaul in the near term?

I think I'm hearing that it's better to stay away from a truck that's been "chipped"?

1 person likes this.