EVERTHING NEED TO KNOW ABOUT A 4L60E/4L80E

Discussion in 'General Truck Forum' started by chevychase, Sep 8, 2013.

1. pieinyoureye

pieinyoureye Full Member

Awhile back my trans was stuck in 2nd mode, it still is. I know that I may have missed something but I have redone all the grounds and even added some new ones. I have replaced all the solenoids inside the pan and replaced the wiring harness. I am at a complete loss now why it is still in second mode. Is there any mechanical issue inside the trans that could cause it to stay in second. There has never been any code stored for a reference where to start and yes I have checked and even replaced the TPS. It will shift if I ground the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids.

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Okay this tells you you have power for the solenoids.
    Ecm/pcm/tcm/computer grounds the solenoids..using the quad driver..quad driver is part of ecm that grounds the solenoids.
    You say you got no codes..probably ecm is bad..in this part that controls the trans.
    All i have..looking at the electrical diagrams.

gmctrucks, 96silverado and MrMarty51 like this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Pretty well got this one nailed down, I`d suspect. :applaud: Unless, it would be a ground wire, for the transmission controller, under the dash some-wheres, not knowing but, I would suspect that ground wire to be connected to the frame but, it could be under the dash, hooked to a bus bar.,

gmctrucks, 96silverado and chevychase like this.
  4. Bad88

Bad88 Full Member

Hey CC. I'm changing the oil & filter in my 700R4 in the '88 K1500. I am using a Driveworks filter kit. I removed the orange seal from the old filter in the tranny and slide the new filter with round orange seal in place.

I went to put the pan back in place and the pan will not seat flat. I am not certain that that the new filter is up in all the way but it sure feel like it is. The filter neck is plastic and I do not want to put too much pressure on it to try and set it further - if I can be seated further.

I am wondering if this filter is supposed to "snap" up into place or perhaps I have the wrong filter kit.

The filter kit I am using is: DW-FK171.

Thanks. Jeff

5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Maybe they gave you a filter for a 4l60e..or a 200r4? Maybe take a rubber maillot..bump it ..they do fit tight.
    How about a pic of the filter? Do they both look same..maybe 1 has a tad longer neck?

gmctrucks and 96silverado like this.
  6. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

1 person likes this.
  7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    185 page pdf on the 4l60.and 4l80e..65e..75e..and 85e
    here

96silverado and gmctrucks like this.
  8. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I just wanted to add thanks CC for always posting such good info to help us all out and save us money and thanks to other members as well you know guys there is people that don't share useful info which is very selfish people like that will get theirs in time they bring it upon there selfs.

96silverado likes this.
  9. Missionstreet

Missionstreet New Member

Trying to get reverse lights on a 93 Safari motor home with 4l80e. It doesn't look like I can get a signal by itself off the trans harness, does anyone know about the TCM?

MrMarty51 likes this.
  10. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Under the dash, bolted to the steering column, You will find the park/neutral safety switch. The backumup lights are wired off of that. Be sure to check the fuses, check for voltage at the bulbs sockets too. A probe/test light is handy for such things as this.