Diesel Colorado/Canyon

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Jellyfrosh, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM.

1. Jellyfrosh

Jellyfrosh New Member

Is the 2.8L Diesel Colorado/Canyon good? I've been in the market for a small truck and it seems perfect.

I'm coming from a 6.4L 2008 Powerstroke and a 6.6L 2004 Duramax, looking for something smaller. My main concern is the emissions equipment. My 6.4 has a dead skip thanks to the DPF. It's illegal to cut it off, (though Wyoming doesn't emissions test so I could get away with it) and I would rather keep it stock, but I want something I can take hundreds of thousands of miles and not have to worry about the stupid DPF breaking everything. Also, is the SCR a pain? I've never had to use it before.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Welome to the new age of emissions for diesels, def and dpf, not a good way around it all newer model disels will have them, only way past it get a pre def or dpf diesel.

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  3. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Full Member

detention officer
    i have 100k on my duramax with the def fluid stuffs, i had one issue where a pump went out and it was replaced under warranty I have a 2012, i have not had any issues with my truck i drive it as a tow rig or mileage rig, they are not meant for town driving, as the def system faults when it doesnt go over 35 for more than the 20 required minutes. if you hvae a long commute its fine but stop and go traffic is the hardest thing you can do, shutting off the truck during a regen is so hard on the sytem that they even give warning lights for it.

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. Jellyfrosh

Jellyfrosh New Member

I can get around the stupid emissions garbage here because they don't emissions test in Wyoming, but I don't wanna void the warrenty unless I have to. The DPF in the 6.4 caused engine failures pre-100k (mine has a dead skip at 92k). I don't want a repeat of that. Does anyone know of any good delete tuners/kits for the 2.8L?