death wobble in '15 2500 Silverado HD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by macki, Jan 6, 2017.

1. macki

macki New Member

bought brand new in 2015, great truck except for this violent front end wobble and steering wheel shaking that has occurred a few times to date but so far only when braking while going down a long hill with a moderate weight in the box. It stops after hitting the flats and things cool down so thought it might be the rotors but they're brand new and shouldn't 'unwarp' if that is it. Rides smooth as glass in all other situations. Tried the different available truck options for brake assist, trailer tow, etc but nothing seemed to make a difference. Chevy dealer checking it out while I'm writing this, but didn't have any ideas before hand other than I'm not the only one who has reported it. Anybody else have this issue with a new truck?

2. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    thinking a bad abs system

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. macki

macki New Member

maybe, a good question to ask, but they started with doing the rotors (and crossing their fingers perhaps), saying that had worked before, we'll see but i will try to reproduce the same symptoms and judge for myself.

4. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    Tires ? Think I read somewhere that on another vehicle that tires caused this, maybe to low of pressure or just tire quality. I don't know this but just something that stuck in my mind from somewhere.

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    Could be anything: ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, heck maybe even a wheel bearing. I would jack it up and check these things too.

gmctrucks likes this.
  6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Just a heads up my brothers HD the Putman arm broke it happened when he was backing up imagine if he would have been driving 75 his steering box was changed out twice under warranty.

kbrown11 likes this.
  7. macki

macki New Member

that all checked out at the dealers, and the truck was bought brand new in 2015 so things can't wear out that fast, and good quality tires, these symptoms started from the first time I took it on a road trip, and have showed up again a couple of times since but only when I was going downhill with a bit of a load in the box or hauling my trailer.

8. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Check the inside of your wheels/rims you might have a chunk of mud on them which will throw off your tire balance and it will wobble BIG times.

kbrown11 likes this.