Battery/power solution- 2003 F-150 V8 Triton

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by Joshuaxlt, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Joshuaxlt

Joshuaxlt New Member

My biggest issue with my truck right now is electrical power, it currently has a 58 amp-hour battery and a 130 amp alternator. I have 4 light bars, 4 spotlights, 4 new speakers, and 2 large sub-woofers and a few smaller power drawing things. total power draw of the light-bars and sound equipment is 6,588w. i just ordered a 4000w Shuriken auxiliary battery. I'm wondering if i should order another one, while also upgrading the main battery and adding a second alternator.

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    If going add in a second battery, they both need to be new batteries or the older battery will draw down the new one and wear it out. If drawing that much power might look at a storage bank of batteries but depends how much you run those lights and radio and all that, By also turning of radio and stuff you don't need to run like spot lights it will reduce the load on the system.

Courious question why so many lights?

Joshuaxlt likes this.
  3. Joshuaxlt

Joshuaxlt New Member

Okay, so ill get 2 new batteries for the truck, and ill order another auxiliary battery (so ill have 2 of those) and probably buy another alternator just to charge the auxiliary battery. I've got so many lights because I go muddying and rock crawling almost everynight after work, so those lights are a must in central new York. Also use them when helping my cousin at his farm. I have 3 front facing light bars and one that lights up the bed, 2 spotlights that are on the end of my pickup bed facing away from the truck, 2 spotlights on either side of the cab pointing down to light up ground by doors.

4. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Ak ok was wondering if you went off roading, or just wanted alot of lights on the truck.

Most guys when they put two or more batteries in their trucks they use a isolator, its just a switch that sepratates the two batteries, so you have one good one to start the truck, then the other battery to run what ever you need, then when you need your secondary battery charged you flip the isolator over and the alt charges them both. Also need to figure out how many amps the system is going to run, thats how alts are rated its not really watts its the amps, if you keep your amps close or below what the alt is then you should be ok with two batteries and a high out put alt. You can get alts custom wound if the case will allow it, look for a starter/alt repair shop in your area and ask them what they can do they may even have a high out put alt that fit the truck. Just don't go to big it can be just as bad as being too small. Also be sure to use fuses in this system on lights, sound system, rather a fuse a blows then a wire heat up melt and burn your rig down in the middle a trail in BFE.

wilhed likes this.
  5. Joshuaxlt

Joshuaxlt New Member

Okay, think I got it. Thanks