Anyone ever hear of Smart Parts Auto?

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by Dodge1984, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Dodge1984

Dodge1984 Full Member

I'm getting my A727 Torqueflite transmission rebuilt this year, I'm estimating $500-$800 if I bring the transmission in myself
    Except I came across this website SmartPartsAuto that sells transmissions for extremely good prices, has anyone ever heard any reviews about this website?

This is the link to the 727 transmission I'm looking at: 727 Transmission For Sale

$779 for a completely rebuilt transmission
    And it comes with a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty which I believe is more than the shop I was looking at getting it rebuilt at

I just got off the phone asking about performance upgrades since I want it to be able to hold up to a little more power, the guy on the phone didn't know so he's going to give me a call back tomorrow morning because I called right before they closed

But before I make up my mind I want to know if this place has a good reputation, and if any of you have heard of them before?

2. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    They have a good (A+) rating with BBB. I've never heard of them.. Funny, buying a rebuilt 4L80E from them for the sale price of $1300 plus shipping and labor would have been pretty close to what I paid to get mine rebuilt.

2 people like this.
  3. Dodge1984

Dodge1984 Full Member

I can't really find anything bad about them, they sell through ebay as well and their ebay reviews are all positive ones:
    eBay Feedback Profile for smartpartsauto
    I'll see about pricing from them tomorrow when they call me, they seem very professional and their website is set up very professionally
    It shows a lot of people have bought transmissions from them

1 person likes this.
  4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Seems they would be a lot more detailed on what they do ..vague ?? Probably just a regular rebuild.
    I searched this many said ..if warranty after a year..they will not help..also nothing on labor if they go bad.
    But some says they purchased a good trans. just like any other company have to chance it.
    But i don,t think they will upgrade the trans for you. Probably just overhaul with the latest factory upgrades.

3 people like this.
  5. Dodge1984

Dodge1984 Full Member

I called them to see what their upgrade options are and how much extra it will be, I want to upgrade my 727 with really strong aftermarket parts so I never have to worry about it again, even with stock parts the 727 is a really good transmission, the one I have now is 31 years old and has no problems going in gear or shifting, I just want to get it rebuilt for the engine I'm putting in because it's going to be triple the hp

I'm also going to call a reputable place in Columbus Ohio that repairs and rebuilds transmissions and get a quote on a complete rebuild, they have great reviews as well
    Columbus Ohio Transmission Repair and service, Franklin County
    Multiple reviews from Google and all are good 5 star reviews, along with an A+ from the BBB, honestly might just take my transmission there rather than trust a refurbished one from some company out of state, I don't know. Smart Auto Parts seems to have some weird warranty that they'll probably blame it on my end if something malfunctions. They're going to call me tomorrow so I'll see their prices and what exactly they're going to upgrade

2 people like this.
  6. Dodge1984

Dodge1984 Full Member

Just updating this thread, I talked to both companies. Smart Parts Auto said since my tranny is older they'll rebuild my transmission if I send it in and send it back to me with no core charge, but it'll only be a standard rebuild with the 3 year/36000 mile warranty (There warranty is also kind of weird, a lot of things seem to disqualify their warranty) But it gets worse, if they rebuild it with heavier duty/performance parts then it falls under their racing category which Doesn't have any warranty what so ever, since they assume it'll be ran rough and things will break regardless. And the price came to over 1000 and I'd have to pay shipping there and back etc.

The local transmission rebuild shop on the other hand, they said they have no problem rebuilding it with performance parts. The guy went on to list everything he'd do and put in it in full detail and was very thorough and like ChevyChase mentioned, Smart Parts was very vague on what they really replace and upgrade.
    They also give a 1 year or 12,000 mile warranty which is a lot better than no warranty, and everything for $1,299, and they're only an hour away and Smart Parts is out of state.

So I've decided I'm going with the local shop, just wanted to thank you guys for helping me decide

7. Jim3456

Jim3456 New Member

Unfortunately I decided to buy a transmission from these individuals and I would say that hopefully you don't make the same mistake. After spending 1700 on a trans they stated that they would not warranty their work as one of the small clauses in the warranty got them through a loop hole. I even shipped them the trans back and they stated that there was nothing wrong with it and shipped it back to me on my bill. They told me to replace my transfer case which was not bad as I had it replaced with no resolution. Wound up that I am about 2500 in the hole for a transmission that does not work properly. It looks as if I will be starting over again with a different transmission at a local shop. I am sad to have to throw away all of that work but it seems that there is no resolution as they stated that it will not be warrantied.

8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Stay local, plus you help out small shops that are family owned. Most these warrentys are vague they skate around it since you will installing it so the warretny goes down since they can claim you messed it up installing, some local shops do this as well. Plus for the price its better to go local no shipping charges trannys are heavy shipping alone is gonna hurt. Plus local will build it like you want it and if don't work or fail theyare local you can go back to have them look at it.

I had a old man rebuild my 4l60e gm tranny for 650 bucks and still going strong and he put better parts in it and that me taking it out, dropping it off 2 days later I was picking it up. and he had a good warranty to go alone it and very detail strict install instructions. I have got about 5 hard years of driving on it never had a issue, he said he rebuilds them to last so as not to be back at again later on.