A lot of questions about AUDIO in a 1993 C1500 Extended Cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by iKilledChewbaca, Sep 5, 2011.

1. iKilledChewbaca

#1 iKilledChewbaca, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forums ;)

I have purchased my first car, and dont ask why I chose the 93 Chevy over a lot of other options (I like the look of the truck to be honest, and my family only buys Chevrolet)

Well back to the point....

I am trying to take out the back panels to get to the 4x6 speakers in the rear of the truck, I just cant seem to figure it out. I bought a Torx50 socket and removed the seat belt (so thats one less thing), I have tugged and tugged on the paneling to get it off but I dont want to break it (its a plastic material).

What am I doing wrong ? Is there a step I am missing ?

Also, I ordered a new headunit and am wanting to install that once it arrives, is there any tips on the easiest way to do this also ?

I am more than excited to get this thing running, installed a flowmaster kit, gave it a lift (not much but noticable) , and already repainted it to a Chevy Red color. Now all I have to do is find out why there is a major oil leak near the oil filter :/ Its not the actual oil filter...its the housing that I screw the filter into (I double checked for maybe a double o-ring on the thing, but that wasnt it)

But overall I am happy with my purchase :)

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to tell ANYONE about my new truck :)...well new to me anyways.

DETAILS ABOUT THE TRUCK :

I am absolutely NO expert or even experienced with trucks and there specs...but I can try ?

5.7 L (just normal gas)
    Auto Transmission
    It has 121,00 miles on it (I know its quite a bit of mileage lol)

2. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Jack of all trades, master of none
    I always heard that you should leave the rear 4x6 speakers alone and put your money in the 6.5" ones in the door. The 4x6 speakers in the rear supposedly have some clips that will undoubtedly break when you are pulling them out. You will not be able to get them back on securely. Again, a caveat that I was told when I owned one of these trucks. I just put a good pair of 6.5" speakers in the door and never looked back. The problem I speak of may have been only on regular cab models....not sure.

I also put some dynomat in the doors and it helped a lot.

Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good people willing to help with anything you need down the road. Very much a wealth of information.

3. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Not sure about the oil filter leak. I would change the oil just because you don't know the last time it was changed. It could be leaking from a simple problem of the filter not fitting snug. I always have been told to go ahead and start the maintenance schedule like it was exactly as you said.....new to you.

How many miles on it? 350? Automatic? Tell us more about it.

4. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

I changed the head unit on my 98 to an alpine. Nowadays, just about everyone makes good head units. It's more of a preference to how they look, iPod comparability, bluetooth, etc. Sound quality is the same among all the major manufacturers. What kind did you get?

I put one of those retrosound model one radios in my 84. Best thing about it besides it not having a Cd player (just uses jump drives) was the fact that I didn't have to modify (cut) my dash. I was a little bit apprehensive about going to a non cd player unit, but it was the best decision I ever made. Anyone looking for a good radio replacement in the older c/k trucks....check them out. They are internally amplified (like 65 watts over 4 speakers) so you don't need an amp. Just use the existing slot and wire it up and go. Very easy and it looks good. Just my experience.

If you can give more information on the details of your truck, Im sure people will respond with things to look out for, potential problems, etc.

5. iKilledChewbaca

wow, its 11:34 here and wasnt expecting any replies till tomorrow morning ! you guys are awesome !

I edited my first post with some of the trucks details.

....OH and there arent speakers in this trucks door...only ones I know about are the ones on the dash (4x6 also)

I wished I didnt have to change out the speakers in the back, but they have died on me :/ atleast the left has a little amount of use...but it cracks and just sounds unpleasant.

Once again, thanks everyone for the replies.

6. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

The fact that you seem to have unbolted all you can and the panels are still there may be because of these clips. It makes sense since I was told you couldn't help but break them when you were taking it off.

What if you just unplugged them and used the existing speaker wires to run some boxed 6x9" speakers? I'm not sure if you are planning on any kind of amp/sub additions, but they will certainly help with the base. If yours is an extended cab, you should be able to fit them under the seat.

7. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Welcome to the forum. On your oil leak make sure the old rubber gasket from the old filter is not on there that will cause it to leak and on your panels just pull you more than likely going to break some clips. If you go to replace your speakers get good ones that way you won't have to get to them again. Under the drivers door foot plastic foot guard the speaker wires run under it you could always cut them and run new wires to run some 6x9 speakers on top of where the 4x6 speakers go just use some sheet metal screws and before you put the speakers in wood gray boxes bolt them to pillar so now your going to have 6x9 boxes with speakers in place of 4x6 speakers just now the boxes are going to be on top of the plastic panels.

What I did is im using my new good 4x6 speakers for highs and I have a sub sitting on my back seat ran by a amp im very happy with it. For you truck to last you a long time change out all water hoses and stat and belt heating up a engine takes years off of it or messes it up. I have a 93 with 180K and she still uses no oil.

8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I have the same issue in my ext cab don't know to get rear speakers out. If thre is clips and they break should be able to get bew ones. Don't know model truck you have cheyenne or silverado but mine had a tape dwck in the middle under the center vents. There are kits out there to delete the tape deck and the part the vents arw in is a replacement to fit a head unit and use the vents. Also you will need to unhook the factory reciever its under dash next to coloumn. And find the wire kits that's lets you plug into factory eadio harness then wire head unit in this way if you wabt to return to stock its easy. If you want subs they make boxes to fit under rear bench seat.

I am running a jvc head unit with pioneer 760 watt amp 10 band eq into 2 power acoustik dvc 12's rear stock speakers fronts replaced with sony xplod 4way 4x6.

9. Boudin

Boudin Forum Moderator

Be careful on those rear clips. Before you go and break em to get the panel off....make sure you can get replacements. If what I was told is correct....they are an extreme headache to deal with. Hopefully someone with direct experience on here can speak on this subject. Overall, I would hate for you to have a rattle that never goes away on those rear panels.

10. iKilledChewbaca

Haha alright everyone, I am seriously considering just putting 6x9" speakers in boxes and placing them either under the driver and passenger seats pointed towards the rear seat....or possibly even under the rear seat pointed upwards. idk yet.

After I setup all the speakers I have bought from amazon, I should have 5.25" coaxial speakers in the front (I have already modified the hole to fit them) , the 6x9" speakers in the rear, and a 15 inch subwoofer running off a monoblock amp.

With all those speakers and the sub will I still get decent sound quality ? Or should I install a pair of tweeters also for the highs ? or do you think the 5.25" and 6x9" speakers are good enough for those ?

OH I just read that the speakers will actually have the tweeters installed in front of the cones of the speakers...so nevermind haha.