A/C Freon

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by gmctrucks, Nov 1, 2017.

1. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#1 gmctrucks, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Guys my 1993 GMC Ext/Cab has a Freon leak and around three weeks ago my brother and I tried changing out Schrader valve on the low side but the special tool he bought didn’t work it wouldn’t grab the core so we just topped off my Freon so yesterday when I drove to Baytown to see my sister in the hospital I turned on my A/C and it blew nothing but hot air so when I go back to visit him we’re going to start from no Freon because I’m changing out the high side valve as well which is totally different than the low side Schrader valve now I’m wondering how much oil I’m I going to have to add without overfilling it and how many small cans of Freon do I need to add??

I’m thinking around three cans :help:

Guys this is the tool he bought from Amazon but it was a no go.

Yes I have posted some of this before but I says let me start a new post you see I’m not going crazy.

It sure sucked not having A/C :bawling:

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

change the valves vac it down for 30 min, confirm it holds vac,....add freon, no oil, dont need to add oil unless changing a major component....should have number of oz needed on a sticker under the hood,
    thinking about 40 oz, so most are 12 oz, 3 to start then a bit more

gmctrucks and MikeG like this.
  3. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    If I'm not mistaken, some of those cans also have a Lubricant in them..........?

gmctrucks likes this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

shhhh, dont want to confuse him!!!! :wtruck::applaud::rofl::rofl:

gmctrucks and MikeG like this.
  5. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician

Oh yeah........:help:......... It doesn't take much.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

GMC, just pulling your chain my friend.

gmctrucks likes this.
  6. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#6 gmctrucks, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    F14CA893-E72A-4D70-9781-CFE1123B4517.jpeg 9AF5171E-C516-4A29-9FE9-0F098285B68A.jpeg B66B5909-28D6-4C3A-9D57-DF54973D7AEF.jpeg Guys I’m wondering if just a regular A/C Schrader valve or valve core will fit the low side port of my 1993 GMC truck I bought the valve core remover tool today and it has for like a bike tube and on the other side of the tool it has it for removing bigger valve cores like my truck has so now I’m thinking will just a small valve core fit on my truck?

I also bought kit that comes with two schrader valve cores and one cap for the low side and one for the high side now it comes with two smaller valve cores I’m wondering if it’s going to fit on my truck.:help:

Ok now on the high side it has a small ball instead of the valve core so I bought a new valve for the high side and it has a valve core which is much better if one has to ever replace the core you could use the tool I posted before to not lose Freon.

As you can see the repair kit comes with two small valve cores that’s why I’m wondering if one of the small cores is going to fit where my low side Port needs the bigger side of the valve core removal tool to take the core out might they make a bigger Schrader valve core to fit back in my truck or again I’m wondering if the new smaller valve core is going to fit to replace the bigger core.

I’m hoping one of you guys has replaced one like the one that my truck has I don’t want the small core to fall into the port hole then I’m in trouble.

7. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

#7 gmctrucks, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Silly guys that’s a good one Mr. Leo and Mike :rofl: :applaud::bawling:
    If anything the photos above might help one of you guys.

MikeG likes this.
  8. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

2E005725-CB2A-4CF5-9D45-3A373FA97A86.jpeg Guys this fitting that goes on the high side doesn’t come with the inner o-ring so buy one I’m going back tomorrow to buy one and I haven’t removed mine yet but it’s going to need one again just a heads up guys.

I’m also needing a vacuum pump so if one of you guys have one let me know so I can sent you my phone number so you can text me your pump. :rofl:

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

if you have a compressor the harbor freight one will do the job cheap, just leave it on longer

10. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I’m totally lost with the compressor your kidding right?

Mr. Leo have you ever changed out a Schrader valve from a low side and it’s like mine being that I have to use the bigger side of of the tool to remove and will a smaller Schrader valve fit in its place that comes in the kit I bought or will I have to look for the exact same type I’m taking off?

It’s still HOT over here in TEXAS I need my A/C cooling us off I am going to call the auto parts store to see if they even have that type of Schrader valve hell im even thinking of changing out the valve while it’s under pressure so I won’t have to pull a vacuum and just leaving the high side alone for now till I go to see my brother that lives down south he has a vacuum pump then I will change out the high side valve.