97 d21 excessive fuel into throttle body

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by darktnt, Jan 31, 2016.

1. darktnt

darktnt New Member

My 97 Nissan D21 is getting fuel into throttle body when I start it up. Been using all morning to haul off yard trash. Backed up to a heavy object to load, Got in to leave and when I turned the key, all I got was dim dash lights and a clunk (like a dead battery). Opened hood to found problem and saw fuel had come out of air filter. Opened air filter and saw fuel draining back down throttle body. Like to know what the problem could be.:confused:

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

if it is not cranking, problem is battery, cables, alternator or starter....the fuel dump if cranking may be loss of spark

2 people like this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

If the fuel pressure regulator is held within the throttle body, it could be that its diaphragm has ruptured.
    Do You have a repair book for that critter. Check for where the fuel pump relay is located. Bypass the relay with the air filter off, watch to see if fuel dumps into T~Body, without cranking over the engine. If so then I`d say that the diaphragm has ruptured and will need to be replaced.

A one solid click could mean that the starter has gone out and needs replacing, it could also be that, with that much fuel being dumped that, it has hydraulically locked a cylinder, by being the cylinders are full of fuel and the starter can not possibly crank past the point of the hydraulic lock.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kennyray

Kennyray Moderator
    Staff Member

Maintenance
    Sounds like it hydro locked. You're going to have to pull the plugs to get it to turn over. Once you find what caused it to dump fuel it shouls start. I would recommend an oil change also. I imagine some gas got in the oil.

2 people like this.
  5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Yes, As KennyRay has stated, remove the sparking plugs, if engine cranks over then, You will know it is hydraulically locked. lay rags over the sparking plug holes to keep fuel from atomizing into the air and possibly catching afire.
    Disable the ignition by pulling the terminal plug from coil or the distributor to keep from making spark, for the just in case.
    If there has been that much fuel dumped into the cylinders, there will also be that much fuel in the oil, yes, be sure to get that changed, as soon as the fuel issue is repaired.

2 people like this.
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

:idea::idea::idea::idea:....i wonder, been a while since they posted

1 person likes this.
  7. darktnt

darktnt New Member

The battery, starter were replaced about 5 months ago. Thanks for the advice.

8. darktnt

darktnt New Member

Thank you for the info. I believe with the dumping of fuel that it locked up, the starter was replaced about 5 months ago.