93 E-350 Convert 460 7.5 Gas to 7.3 Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by hotrodpc, Feb 14, 2010.

1. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

Just a thought and way off. Maybe the Ford and Diesel guru's can help me out with some info.
    I got a 93 Ford E-350 retired Ryder Box Van. Its factory MFI 460 7.5 gas and Auto overdrive trans. The truck runs wonderful but drinks more gas than I do Pepsi and thats real bad. So, if I was to consider swapping to 7.3 PowerStroke, what would I gain as far as mpg and hp/torque? Currently has a butt load of torque but is a sled as far as speed. Not realy concerned with speed, but wouldn't want to give up any torque. Truck gets 8-9mpg against the wind, and 9-11mpg with the wind. Same mpg loaded or empty, city or hwy.
    If I decide this swap, Does the 7.3 bellhousing fit the same transmission??? Up to what year is the 7.3 all mechanical to where I would not need wiring harness or change ECM, or would it be best to change it? I am sure in 93, the 7.3 was an OEM option, so this should not be a real hard swap and be able to keep the same trans. Anyone know what all would be involved to make this swap? 7.5 Gas to 7.3 Diesel? Is 93 models turbo or non turbo? Could I go either way? What are the pros and cons? Lots of questions to consider and get answers to. Thanks for any suggestions or help. :help::bow:

Attached Files:

2. mrjohnwayne

mrjohnwayne Full Member

Oil and Gas field
    Home Page:
    If you want a mechanical 7.3 it would be pre powerstroke starting at 89 (i believe) up to 94.5. These are N/A motors as well, so you probably won't see a big enough increase over hp/tq and mileage to justify the swap. If you want to go with a powerstroke 94.5-03 you should see a substantial increase in mpg, and tq but not as much hp. The last year of the 7.3 powerstroke was rated at flywheel 245 hp and 505 tq +/- a few. Swap should be relatively simple. c6 or e40d should be a direct swap for the bellhousing and a wire harness for a powerstroke as well as an idm and ecm can be had for a reasonable price. the IDM is going to be the big ticket item though. Ecms can be had for "cheap" but a good used idm will still set you back a couple bones.

93 7.3 was a N/A motor, a few 94's pre 94.5 came from ford with a "factory" ats turbo but were all non intercooled.

3. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

Thanks for the info MrJW. So in an effort to at least keep the truck OEM year correct, its a 93, so you are saying a 93 7.3 Diesel (Non Powerstroke) would also be mechanical and non computer. This truck is computer now with the 460 7.5 Gas engine and Electronic Multi Port Fuel Injection. And you are saying, probably no hp/torque gain and no mpg gain by converting to 93 7.3 Diesel (Non Computer, Non Powerstroke) over the computer controlled 7.5 gas? That being said, then best to convert to later year model, with ECM and all. hmmm, I need to look up these year specs on the gas and diesels and later years too. Never know, I might even end up converting to 5.4 gas. Sure never thought I'd EVER consider such a thing, but it would only be the right thing to do to see where the best bang for the buck is. I know the diesel will sure last alot longer than the gas engine. This 7.5 gas engine currently has 168,000 miles and still runs like new. And its not fast at all. Its about 0-60 in 10 MINUTES flat !!! :(:rofl::rofl:, But its got enough torque to pull about anything. Really its not that bad, and I don't mind. Its not a race truck, its a work truck and it can sure carry a load and pull a trailer like its not even there up a 4% grade and still do 75mph with barely a strain. And it might even be best just to leave well enough alone. I was just thinking, if I could swap something to get better mpg, I'd use the truck more often, and with 168,000, I know it could need a motor sometime soon without much notice, so I'd like to have some idea before that time comes, so I can be acquiring or looking for the steal deals and be ready to jump on them when they pop up. Thanks agian JW.:bow:

4. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

Cummins!!!!!!! mileage and power. Yup, that the answer........
    You can even get a 1 wire fire engine if you desire.

5. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

Oh NO, not in this rig I won't. Wouldn't even attempt it. I can do many things, but I am not that talented to cram a Cummings in this Van Chassis. I have my mind made up now though, I would put a Cummins in one of my 80's models Chev/GMC pickups with a NV4500 Trans.

6. 75K30

75K30 Senior Member

Got one going in a mid 70's Ford Crew cab 4x4 with a Dana 60 Front and 14B FF rear.
    Cummins with a 4500, and twin stick 205 with 4.10's, a Detroit in the rear, and Power lok up front. 35 spline shafts up front with Chro mo rear shafts.
    Should run real nice. I got used to running past stock Stupid Duties when it had a 521 Ci BBF, but now it should just make them look silly.
    The manual trans might be interesting. Was cool to smoke little Honda cars, and now it should literally leave them in thick black soot!
    How bad will they feel when an 8,000 (probably more) pound 4 wheel drive truck with 4 doors can leave them standing still at a stop light wondering "what in the heak just happened"? Oh, and never getting over 3200 rpm.
    The best part is that I plan on being able to put the hole shot on them and still maintain enough 'mile per hour' to keep them in the mirror.

My passenger side mirror will read "Objects in mirror are slower than they appear"!:rofl:

Yup 5" exaust just screaming oil burner power!!!!!!!:eek:

Fun stuff................

7. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

After reading MrJW post. I did some checking on some engine specs. It would appear a swap just isn't worth it. MIGHT gain a little mpg, but not likley enough to make it worth it, unless someone was just nice enough to set a 7.3 down in the driveway and drive off with me to do as I wish with it. Not anything to gain either by going the 5.4 modular motor route with the ECM and harness, other than I do wonder how the mpg would be? I am fine with the hp/torque of the set up it has now. I'd just like to accomplish some better mpg. I'd even consider giving up a little hp/torque to get more mpg if it was a significant differance. The truck has plenty of torque now, it could afford to lose a little to gain mpg. But being realistic, it appears probably best to just leave well enough alone. Maybe some mods like maybe a K&N air filter might be worth a try. I actually do not have much faith in K&N filters increasing fuel economy. Maybe hp I can agree with, but not fuel economy. Maybe some kind of aerodymanic round bubble on the front of the box might make a big differance in mpg. Which I truely beleive is the big mpg robber. Its not the big motor, or the weight or the truck. Its the lack of being aerodynamic. The wind is the biggest factor in the mpg. I can go Southwest EMPTY and get 8mpg @ 70mph. On the return trip going Northeast partially LOADED and TOWING a 4000lb truck and get 11-12mpg @ 65-70mph. I have made that same exact trip going SW fully loaded to the gills and got 7.5mpg @ 75mph, probably would have got the 8mpg had I slowed down to 70mph, and got 11mpg going NE coming home EMPTY @ 70-80mph. So with that, my point is, loaded or empty does not seem to affect the mpg, but the direction of travel, with or against the wind seems to make 3-4 mpg differance.

8. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

That does sound like a nice combo. I always love it when any American truck can spank the ricers. Funny thing is, those ricers are probably putting out as much smoke as the Diesels are soot. By the time they add 17 lbs of boost and/or hit the button a few times, their little rice burners are burning as much oil as they are gas. But that combo you speak of is going in a pick up, with a nose on it, and a real hood that opens to get access. I just don't see it happening in an E-350. I think Ford built this cab and chassis around this 460 and A4OD. BTW, this E-350 has a Full Floater Dana 70 with 4.10's. Not likley it'll break, but I sure hope it don't cuz it won't be cheap.

9. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

#9 hotrodpc, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Here are the specs I found. This is from F series pick ups. Can't imagine E series vans would be much differant, if any.
    7.5 L V8 1992-93 230 hp 390 lb·ft <<<<<< What is in the truck now. Running fine with 168,000 miles.
    7.5 L V8 1994-97 245 hp 395 lb·ft <<<<<< Wonder what the difference is here for 15 + hp and 5+ torque.
    7.3 L Diesel V8 1992-94 185hp 360 lb·ft IDI
    7.3 L Diesel V8 1992-94 190hp 390 lb·ft IDI Turbo
    7.3 L Diesel V8 1994-97 235 hp 525 lb·ft DI Turbo, Powerstroke <<<< Mega F'n Torque !!!
    5.4 L V8 1997-98 235 hp 330 lb·ft
    5.4 L V8 1999–2004 260 hp 350 lb·ft <<<<30+ hp 40- less torque, wonder how it would be for mpg?

10. davbell22602

davbell22602 Senior Member

Hotrod, Can I steer you away from K&N air filter. I suggest using the amsoil air filter instead. Its a EAA24 air filter, $34.15, nanofiber technology, 4year/100,000 guarantee.