88fivespeed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chevychase, Dec 4, 2017.

1. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
  2. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

Yes I will keep on shifting the gears smooth through life. Thanks for the tribute.

gmctrucks likes this.
  3. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Many moons ago I heard a manuel five speed trans weren’t that good meaning weak is that true?

I had a 1992 GMC truck with a five speed Trans I got rid of it because I had tons of trouble with it and the wife couldn’t drive standard.

4. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member

I can only speak of the Ford five speed manual transmission. Ford used the Mazda 5 speed in half ton pickups and some light duty 3/4 ton pickups. Ford used a ZF 5 speed in regular duty 3/4 ton and larger pickup trucks.

The Mazda 5 speed is known as a weaker transmission than the ZF. It is weaker than the ZF, but not all that weak. I had pulled a loaded fertilizer spreader weighing roughly 14,000 lbs about 15 miles, several times with no problem. This was with my 1988 F-150 with the Mazda 5 speed.

Then one day I was just cruising down the highway empty about 60 MPH in 5th gear and the transmission just failed. The pickup had about 220,000 miles on it then. Long story short I had a rebuilt Mazda transmission installed and I'm still driving my 88fivespd today. These 5 speeds that Ford used at that time likely weren't as trouble free as the old 4 speeds, but were not that bad.

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

I’m wondering what did you drop or spent on the used Trans watch it last you many moons???

My brother had a 1970 Duster with a six banger that car lasted a long time he drove it then my other bro drove it till he sold it to his friend well it never died till they hit the car so hard it was totaled but the engine and Trans were still alive. :applaud::rofl:

6. 88fivespd

88fivespd Full Member