86'nissan z24i tbi cutting out.

Discussion in 'Nissan Truck Forum' started by Ding, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Ding

Ding Full Member

Hey bud,no it's the air/hot air induction valve(A.I.V).it has some kind filter in it.sit next to the vapor canister on the right fender well.The AB valve I have is back and under the air cleaner pan,by the EGR.Ran around town and it didn't blow up yet.Didn't sputter,spit or die.I am gonna McGuiver a box for it,Have some thin tin to form,pop rivet it and seal with permatex,cut the front off that houses the reed set up and use some long bolts with some nuts to keep it together and spced,put an air filter in it I guess.

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
  3. Ding

Ding Full Member

Thanks old man. :kiss:.LOL OK figured it out.Autozone said they have a regular type,which it would take,air filter that fits the AIV box,talked on the phone,gave description and size I needed and was told yes,8 bucks.The housing I can repair or make a new one out of sheet metal.My "flappers" are a mystery though.I have all four intact,the base flappers, but it looks like there was some that are on top that are MIA/KIA.I am not sure what the top flappers are for,maybe a restrictor for the bottom ones so the don't open so much.? Has/had me worried there about the over heating thing.Thanks for all the help bud.Gonna go eat sumpin that ain't good for me.hope ya have a great fathers day chev.

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Your welcome ..and thanks . Hey i have bad eating habits..i eat mt biggest meal right before bedtime.
    To busy other times...on well sumpuin will get us food..drink..nicotine ..vehicles lol
    Keep us informed my friend.

5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    You done any retro work on the nicean ? Hey i fixed my stihl chain saw today. About pulled my arm off.
    Changed the plug getting fuel i said..getting spark?? Hey i checked the fuel..more water than fuel lol
    Won,t run on water but would be nice if it did. How in the heck it got water setting in the garage i don,t know.
    Boy said must of got thirsty got a drink lol. I think i left gas can on the truck in a few rains...no wonder lawn mower and pressure washer spit sputter .

6. shannon pigg

shannon pigg Member

ag equipment tech
    I'm having the same problem on a 1987 Nissan truck did you ever get it figured out the mass airflow sensor is like $600

7. shannon pigg

shannon pigg Member

ag equipment tech
    #37 shannon pigg, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    So I tested every sensor on this thing and all good. Removed valve cover and brought to TDC but there where no colored links on the chain but #1 rocker arms where loose.removed the distributor cap found some black marks on inside of cap. Replaced cap and rotor now she purrs like a kitten. i unplugged the throttle position sensor and was adjusting the timing afterwards and got popped twice by spark these plug wires are very close together i used a generous amount of dielectric grease to prevent arcing across between wires

8. shannon pigg

shannon pigg Member

ag equipment tech
    #38 shannon pigg, Aug 20, 2017
    this MAF sesor has 4 wires To test mafs I pierced third wire down I think and voltage would go up as I increased throttle. when i unpluged the sensor i found the second pin down was heavily corroded so i cleaned it . i think it was the power supply. but as i stated earlier the MAFS is 600 dollars so be careful and if i where doin it again i would just test the third wire down for voltage moving up and down when airflow changed . fyi the top wire had 9 volts when i turned the key on i believe it is the heater supply voltage wire

9. shannon pigg

shannon pigg Member

ag equipment tech
    #39 shannon pigg, Aug 20, 2017
    to test the TPS hook onto middle wire and voltage should mov smoothly from around .4 to 8 or so if i remember right. the tps has 3 wires power ground and signal .the 2 wire switch is on off idle switch. and you see voltage on both at idle and just 1 when you move the throttle.. O2 SENSOR TEST pierce the wire and at idle i had .1 volts when i worked the throttle i would see .3 volts after a goose. you will need a good dmm for these test i use a fluke true rmms

10. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

Dig your truck might not be set up like a 91 Mazda 626 we had but one time the air intake flex hose leading to the TB had a small cut well it would idle ok but when we got on it the motor would stall out I replaced the hose and it was all good even a dirty air cleaner can mess you up well Dig I hope your truck keeps running good.
    Take care! GMC