86 toyota 4x4

Discussion in 'Toyota Truck Forum' started by kktee, Feb 10, 2016.

1. kktee

kktee Member

#1 kktee, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    i recently purchased an 86 toyota 4x4 and it rides like a covered wagon..replaced bad wheel bearing and inner t.r.e.,had alignment done..has 33" tires .. now im thinking shocks..it has ranchos on it now but they have rust and i noticed one had play in it(side to side) ..so anyway what would be a good on/offroad shock ..also what else could i do to make the steering/suspension feel factory smooth again? what is purpose of steering stablizer ,and should i consider one of those as well? like i said i mainly drive on road but occasionally do mild offroading when hunting,etc.. (dirt roads with bad ruts) ......one other thing its missing the plastic pieces between door and back window on regular cab..what are those called ? also missing the lil' plastic pieces near each rear fender on sides of truck dont know what those are called either..where can i buy those?..sorry for so many questions..thanks in advance for replies..

wilhed, 96silverado and MrMarty51 like this.
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

might be a rotted frame

2 people like this.
  3. kktee

kktee Member

no that was first thing i looked at before buying as i know that was common issue with these toyo's... frame is absolutely solid and rust free..

2 people like this.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

i remember the corolla issues, jack them up by the door and the whole front end would wiggle

4 people like this.
  5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Rancho shocks are suppose to be good stuff. I would check into their website and see if they have a lifetime warrantee. Most shock absorb-er companies now days do. Might have to have receipts though, that could be the end of warrantee.
    So, this must be a slider back window? where the ends of the glass comes together in the middle. You might check into ebay or an auto salvage yard, Might find some still intact in there. take a propane torch along, heat them up, use gloves, they should come right off, needs urethane to reinstall. Possibly too that a complete rear slider windew installed would be cheaper than doing repairs on Your old one. I think that it was about $175.00 to get a new slider installed on My 93 K1500, after it had been BB gunned. Body shop furnished the glass too.

I believe the things by the rear fenders could be the fender flares.

Welcome KK to the forum.

6. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    How many miles? Its 20 years old, might just go ahead and replace everything else suspension related while your at it. Ball joints, tie rods, bushings, etc. Welcome to the forum kktee!

wilhed, MrMarty51, chevychase and 2 others like this.
  7. kktee

kktee Member

it only shows 150k miles ...motor rebuilt completely 500 miles ago....yeah when i took it to the shop i told them to do a chasis check and the guy said he was extremely surprised that for its age all it needed was a inner tie rod end on drivers side ,and wheel bearing on passenger side...obviously someones replaced things in past....i was expecting to have to replace everything...i still hear a clunkl ocassionally when hitting bumps but i think thats the rear shock that has play in it..also sometimes i hear a squeeky sound when turning wheels,mostly when backing into my drive which has a dip in it......could that be the steering stablizer?

1 person likes this.
  8. kktee

kktee Member

@mrmarty51 ..i just bought truck so warranty probabaly wont apply(no receipts)...the plastic pieces i was talking about are the cosmetic pieces between upper doors and back of cab on outside of reg cab truck..dont know what they are called and havent had any luck web searching.....

1 person likes this.
  9. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

Put up a pic..
    i have no idea what i'm imagining even..

4 people like this.
  10. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    That squeaking sound is probably a ball joint.

2 people like this.