70's/80's chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Goon57, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Goon57

Goon57 Member

Hey guys I really need help with deciding wether I should get one of these trucks or not. I want a 70's to 85 Chevy or gmc preferably 1500. I just want to know if I can afford the gas. I love these trucks and the old style and can get one cheap but making $10 an hour still in schooling can I really afford one? I don't do too much driving though so it's not like I have to drive far every day to work it's down the road. If somebody that has experience driving these trucks can tell me what's it's like that would be great. Thanks

2. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    I had a 82 chevy long bed, had the 305 ack in it but did have straight pipes with glasspacks and echo tips on it. Was a decent truck, was black on black, had power windows and locks. I liek the old truck was pretty tough, mileage wasn't too bad if I stay of the pedal, But this was back when gas was about 1.15 a gallon too. I think it got around 10 mpg if I went easy, and I lived in the country it was a good 15 min drive into any town, and it wasn't a straight drive had alot of stops and go's. Was easy to work on, well really easy compared to what there is now. If you can find a 70-85 with a 350 jump on it, I wished mine had the 350 in it but the 305 did good I just mainly drive with it, never really pulled anything, but was kinda slow being a 305. I have a 94 chevy now and love it, gets good mileage has a 350 in it, has the bare bones fuel injection computer stuff in it, and not bad to work on. If had to do it again I would have loved to have that 82 sitting back in the drive again.

2 people like this.
  3. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Senior Member

The early trucks(1973-87) are becoming the new collectable as the 68-72 become scarce. Try and get a decent one, and hang onto it. I have a 1978 short bed C20, with an LS1 engine, and 4 speed O/Drive auto(which I fitted). Dont have any economy figures, but gotta be better than the carby engines. 350 would be the pick of the engines in those models.
    I like the square shape trucks, and as said, easy to work on. IMG_0842_1_1.jpg

2 people like this.