60 Bucks In The Wind!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by MikeG, Jul 13, 2011.

1. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    So on Saturday I replaced the AC line in my Silverado; this was after I had the local Firestone do a $20 check on the system. Made sense to me since I bought the truck over a year ago and didn't use the system at all last summer, I had no idea if it even worked. Of course they found $400+ worth of work to do; a seal kit, orfice tube, replace a drier (that didn't need done) and also including the charging of the system. :no: I was going to have another place look at it as a second opinion; I never messed with the AC before except to hose off the condensors on the Humvees while in Iraq. Of course my amazing wife had to challenge me with the age old question, "how hard can it be?" She's right, how hard CAN it be????

Off to Autozone I go where I recieved alot of help. I decided to replace the entire line (from drier to condensor) which only cost $87. The new line already had all the new o-rings on it and if I was disconnecting it all anyway..... why not? Sunday rolls around and off I go to Autozone again to pickup twos cans of R134 for a total of $60; it took the first can fine but the compressor wasn't kicking on. I already new that it was good due to jumping it before I started. As I have the second can hooked up and it isn't going anywhere too quick, my awesome wife disappears (to look in the truck) and turns on the AC system.:bow: It's amazing how quick that second can entered the system.:blush:

All was great! I had her use the truck to give our daughter a ride to work; and she said it was cold enough to turn the fan way down. Felt pretty good for being the first big AC anything I've done. Now Tuesday rolls around, it is 100+ degrees outside; I figured what the hay good time as any to enjoy my work (and embaressment) and cool down in my ice cold AC...............:flamingmad: I bet you can image my surprise when it was blowing hot air!!!!! 60 bucks literally in the wind!

Moral to my story you ask.........? I'll be going to Autozone yet again this weekend for a can of the UV Dye and a UV light and glasses (which I should of done first) so I can find the leak. After I fix whatever I find I'll get another 2 cans of R134 and try again. Either way, it was still less than $400+ that Firestone wanted.:no:

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Well your not the first ... and will not be the last to do this.
    But if your systems needs refrigerant ... or out then it has to be leaking... i realized that after i put a few cans in mine lol
    Oh well live and learn and gitter done.

3. mudseeker

mudseeker Senior Member

fixer of many things
    one problem i see...........did you vacuum the system down after you replaced the parts???

4. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    #4 MikeG, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    What do you mean? I connected everything up and charged it (for lack there of). Was this a step that should have been done? If so, how do I do it??

5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    You have to have a vacuum pump for this ... gets all air moisture foreign particles ect out.
    But i never done this just changing a hose.

6. zombie1969

zombie1969 Senior Member

A low tec way you can check for leaks before wasting more freon is to use an old charge adaptor from the do it yourself kit and attach it to a shop compressor.Go around spraying with soapy water looking for leaks.If you can get access to a vacuum pump it would be a good idea to use.Having moisture in the system can cause all sorts of problems.

7. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    I don't have access to a vacuum pump, so I'll give the water trick a shot. I'll probably give the UV stuff a try as well. Thanks guys!

8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Well don't know how good it is, but at harbor freight tools they have a air powered vacuum pump that hooks up to your air compressor to draw vacuum. I have one and it does work, how I found I have a leak I have to fix. They also have a set of gauges too, I go those as well. They sale the electric vacuum pumps but they are on the high side, the air powered vac pump I got on sale for like 10 bucks.

9. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    Thanks dirtrider. The closest Harbour Freight is an hour away from me in Salina, Ks. I'll check it out next time I'm there.

10. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    No problem I bought my stuff there so I could fix mine. If you do go there open the box make its all there, there is two fittings that go with it, it has 2 ports one r12 one r124a make sure the the 2 caps are right. It worked for what I want helped find out that my system couldn't hold vacuum so I knew I had a leak. They also have a set of gauges for like 50 bucks for a 134a system, one thing I had to do is come up with a valve to isolate the pump from the gauges so I could keep a vacuum on the system to see if it bled down, I used a can tap off a hose I had, put it on the gauges on the yellow hose then hook up the hose, hook up the low side open that, hook up the yellow to the valve then to the pump hook up air hose to the pump open the can tap valve let it draw vacuum, should draw down to about 30 close off the can tap valve uhook air hose and watch the gauge should hold, the deeper the vacuum you pull the better, it will boil the moisture out. Once thats done with it still all hooked up use another cant tap valve on yellow hose hook up to freon cans and install the freon.

Some reviews say that air pump doesn't pull deep enough, but others say it works fine. To me for home use and if it pulls enough it saves the big money the shops want to do ac work.