5.4 almost stalling issue.

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Forum' started by mxer201, Apr 1, 2016.

1. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    Thanks for all the input. Going to check the tps. I had one go bad on a 4.9 years ago. A mechanic friend tested it with an analog ohm meter.

2. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    Need to change the title from almost to does stall. Did it twice a few days ago. Both times after letting off the brake and an aggressive press on the gas pedal. The first time pulling out on to a highway. Fortunately there was not any traffic so I was able to get it running again and move on. Nearly scared my wife to death and thoroughly startled me but I never let her know. My only thought was get this b#$%@ moving before we are t-boned. Still driving it trying to determine a pattern. The day when the two stalls occurred, the fuel level was about 1/8 of a tank. Filled it and now can't get it to repeat the stall. Something going on in the tank? Think I read a link somewhere a guy said he had a stalling problem when the fuel level was low.

3. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    BTT, not driving it much since the purchase of a new Ram but did take it to another, 3rd, mechanic for his evaluation. Of course it wouldn't exhibit the problem for him. He did go ahead and give the throttle body and IAC ports a good cleaning. Driving home I was hopeful but turning off the highway and then on the gas resulted in the big drop of the tach needle then recovered, near stall. Been thinking about this off and on. About 6 years ago the transmission had to be rebuilt. Didn't know it was about to go out when driving on an interstate and slowing for a toll booth when the engine stalled. Changed to neutral, restarted and continued on without anymore issues on that trip. Not long after that the trans gave up the ghost. This leads me to wonder if I'm having transmission issues again. A problem with it down shifting or not down shifting soon enough? Always after slowing down to a stop or near stop then letting off the brake and stepping on the accelerator.

4. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    Navigator in the shop that replaced the fuel pump. Fuel just below quarter of a tank. Did the near stall while driven by a friend who was interested in buying the vehicle. So, appears the problem occurs when low on fuel. And was the wrong fuel pump installed. After a little research I discovered 1999 to 2002 Navigators have a Motorcraft fuel pump not used in any other Ford/Mercury/Lincoln vehicles. WONDERFUL!!! Will post a follow up later.

5. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    Update. The shop called and finally experienced the near stall I've been dealing with. With a fuel pressure gauge connected I was told the needle would drop to 0 then immediately back to normal pressure as if the fuel pump motor was stopping. New fuel pump on the way.

leolkfrm likes this.
  6. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    Update. Got the gator from the shop. Cautiously optimistic. Drove it until a display said 24 miles to empty without a near stall or stall. The shop did not replace the fuel pump. He did replaced a 3 or 4 inch piece of rubber hose used on the pump assembly between the pump motor and a tube. He showed me the old hose. It had small rips or holes from assembly? Who knows? Immediately I noticed the vehicle was easier to start. After a fill up, the mpg display was up to 17.9. Since the fuel pump was installed it rarely got above 16. Once the tank is less than a quarter full with no near stalls, I will say it is fixed.

7. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Could have been sucking air into the fuel system.

8. mxer201

mxer201 Full Member

Controls Engineer
    The shop showed me the piece of hose. I was thinking the hose is under pressure when the pump motor is running. Incorrect? But makes sense if in suction and the fuel tank is low.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

sounds like something they should have done with the pump

MikeG likes this.
  10. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Well only time will tell if i fixed it or stalls again, hopefully its fixed.

MikeG and leolkfrm like this.