4l60E to 4L80E Swap In a 96 ECSB 4X4

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by oneluckypops, Feb 19, 2010.

1. oneluckypops

oneluckypops Senior Member

Burned out Tech. currently doing concrete construc
    Ok have had some people asking for a write up on this swap so I am going to get it started.

I did the swap with a "donor truck" However it is not needed I will attempt to explain both ways.

Here is a list of the Parts you will need using a donor truck:

01. 4L80E Transmission, Torque Converter and transfer case adapter
    02. 4L80E Flywheel
    03. 241 Transfer case w/larger input shaft
    04. transfercase Linkage Rod from 4L80E
    05. Rear Drive shaft SHORTENED 1 5-8"
    06. Front Drive shaft LENGTHENED 1-5/8"
    07. Wiring Harness
    08. VCM
    09. Computer Tune Depends on the Year of the 2 trucks
    10. Transmission Shifter cable BRACKET the cable will work
    11. Transmission Mount
    12. Transmission cooler lines

First things First after you have the old transmission out. Make sure you install the cooler lines from the donor truck BEFORE you install the 4l80E.

Ok The 80E will bolt Right up to the 5.7 bellhousing, however the Torque converter WILL NOT bolt to the 60E flywheel so you will have to use the Flywheel from the 80E donor truck (trust me I found this out after I already had it in).

The 4L80E has a case length of 26" as where the 4L60E has a case length of 23 3/8" For a difference of 2 5/8" Some of this difference is made up with the 80E's transfercase adapter being shorter then the 60E's. There fore the Difference in the OAL (over all length) of the Transmission and Transfer case combined is 1-5/8".

You will have to SHORTEN your REAR driveshaft 1-5/8" and LENGTHEN your FRONT driveshaft 1-5/8". Also note that with the combined length of the transmission and transfer case you will have to move your cross member back. APROXAMENTLY 2.5-3.0". when you slide the cross member further to the rear you will want to hang the Transfer case on the transmission BEFORE you install the cross member. Because when you slide the transmission cross member back it moves it closer to the cross member for the torsion bars which doesnt give you enough room to put the T-case in.

Now that you have the Flywheel, Transmission, Transfercase, and cross member in you can go ahead and start hooking up all your electrical connections, driveshafts, exhaust, converter and dust cover is you havent already done that.

If you are using a 4L80E from a donor truck it is going to take aproximetly 8 qts. of fluid and the Transfer case is going to take aproximently 2.5-3 qts.

Now That you have all that done. The 80E has different shifting points and different electronics so the VCM out of your truck will not operate the 80E correctly. Depending on what year your truck is and what year the donor Truck is you may or may not have to have it reprogramed. I did reprogram mine HOWEVER I would not have needed to as both my truck and the Donor truck were 96's (no anti theft system) I could have just plugged the donor trucks computer in it and been fine but I didnt learn that till I already sent it off to have programmed. If your truck or the donor truck has an anti theft system you will need to have it reprogramed (1998 and up).

I am not going to list the Programmer that I used, simply because I feel they took advatage of me when i asked them about needing a program. I was also taught that 2 wrongs dont make a right. I will how ever help you find another programmer if you need it.

If I left anything out send me a pm and I will add it. I will also explain how to do the swap with out a donor truck tommorow.

Any questions feel free to ask me.

Case 7230 likes this.
  2. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Senior Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for adding little tips such as t-case BEFORE.:D

How different is this from say my '02 other than the reprogram?

I realize prices are regional but, aproximately what is the cost on shortening 1 and lengthening the other drive shaft?

Or should I invest in a drive shaft compressioner/stretcher to go with my board stretcher?:rofl:

3. oneluckypops

It cost me $123.85 to have my rear drive shaft shortened.
    The front drive shaft they said they would have to put a new tube in it which would be atleast $200.00 but I choose to have my dad cut and splice it on his lathe. I would think if someone would resear long enough you could find one the right length from a different make and model.

As far as the 02 is concerned it will be alittle different. Flywheel, torque converter, cross member,PCM pin locations.

Case 7230 likes this.
  4. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Senior Member

Home Page:
    Gotcha. Thanks.:D

5. oneluckypops

Swap W/O a donor truck

The swap itself is pretty much the same. With the exception of having to modify your wiring harness.

The Parts you will HAVE to have are as follows.

1. Transmission 4l80E W/ Dipstick and Tube
    2. Torque converter
    3. Flywheel
    4. Transmission Mount
    5. Input Shaft speed sensor Harness (Front speed sensor)
    6. NP241 Input shaft for the 4L80E
    7. Transmission shift cable bracket
    8. Transfer case shift Linkage Rod

Ok Now here are the list of Parts that will need to be modified:

1. 20 Pin Transmission connector
    2. VCM C3 Grey connector
    3. Front and Rear Drive shafts
    4. Cross member to frame bolt locations
    5. Transmission Cooler Lines
    6. Transfer case (input shaft)
    7. VCM Tune

Both the 4L60E and 4L80E use the 20 pin transmission connctor, However the they do not use all the same sensors, which means there are wires in your 60e harness that are not used.
    The 4L60E uses 13 pins of the 20 pin connector, as where the 4L80E only uses 11. Below are the diagrams of both connectors for reference.

Now this is where you will need to modify your Harness. This really is pretty simple. So take your time and double and tripple check your work.

The difference in the 2 connectors is:
    4L60E has 13 pins
    4L80E has 11 pins

pin S is a WHITE wire which is which is 3-2 control solenoid for the 60E
    pin U is a BROWN wire which is TCC PWM Soenoid

Remove BOTH S and U pins from the 20 pin connector. Reinstall the BROWN wire in to pin S. Then reinstall the WHITE wire into Pin U ( NOT NEEDED YET)

The 2 cicuits that are not used are 3-2 control solenoid (White wire), and TCC Solenoid pin T ( Tan/Blk wire) However you can use these two wires for the Input shaft speed sensor.

ISS harness connector is a 2 wire connector that the 4l80E uses. I will try to get a end view of the connector. The pins are labeled A and B.

Pin A is a Red/Black wire. Connects to the VCM at C3 Pin 8
    Pin B is a Blue/White wire. Connects to the VCM at C3 Pin 7

You can do this a few different ways.
    Option 1. is to Run new wires from the VCM to the ISS connector. (which you will have to have the pins to hook up to the VCM.
    Option 2. Is the way i prefer.
    The White and Tan/Black wire's that are in the 20 pin connector Are no longer used for the 4L80E, so you can use those wires to connect to the ISS.

1. Cut the White, and Tan/Black wire's.
    2. splice the Tan/Black wire to Pin A of the ISS harness that you purchased.
    3. splice the White wire to Pin B of the ISS that you purchased.

Now you have the wire conversion completed at the Transmission side.
    Now you need to swap the pins at the VCM for the ISS.
    4. Unplug the VCM and open the back of the connectors C1, C2, C3 so you can Identify the pin loactions.
    5. The Tan/Black wire that you spliced to Pin A off the ISS needs to be removed from Connector 1 PIN 10.
    6. Reinstall the Tan/Black wire into Connector 3 PIN 8.
    7. The white Wire that you spliced to PIN B of the ISS needs to be removed from Connector 1 PIN 13.
    8. Reinstall the White wire into Connector 3 PIN 7
    9. put the connectors back togather and plug them in to your reprogrammed VCM. Congradulations you just updated your wiring harness for the 4L80E, Without having to buy conversion kit. Below are the wiring diagrams of both Transmissions that you can look at for reference if you get confused.

Now the 241 transfer cases use the same output shaft so your stock driveshaft slip yoke will work. However the 4L80E uses a Bigger output shaft so you will need to either use a transfercase from a 4l80E or you can replace the input shaft of the transfer case with the larger input shaft. Below is a link on where you can get one.
    Input Gear NP-241 with Turbo 400 4L80E Transmission.

I am also including the instructions for the Transfer case Modification with the atachments. If they dont show up on this post they will the next.

Cooler Line's are a little longer on the 4l80E. You can straighten the front one out to make it fit but the back one will have to be lengthened about 6-8". there are Several ways of doing this. I would reccomend using Metal line with flared fitting's. I am not a fan of using rubberhose but thats jut my opinion.

I really hope someone gets some good use out of this as it has taken me quite a bit of time.

Attached Files:

hotrodpc, poschevy88 and bradrhale like this.
  6. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

Great info to have.

Just curious, How come you couldn't use the front driveshaft out of the donor vehicle???

7. oneluckypops

Actually they are the same drive shaft. They both have the same measurements. The problem is the 2500 front differential is bigger which ofcourse means the front yoke is closer to the trans. which makes up the extra 1 5/8'.

8. hotrodpc

hotrodpc Full Member

Makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the donor being 2500. Should known that though.

9. Guod1a

Guod1a New Member

I have a 97 GMC Seirra ECSB the 4l60e has always been the weak link in this swap sounds just like what my truck needs. I read several articles they say it drastically effects your mileage how true is this?

10. smokybandit

smokybandit Full Member

paid fisherman
    i am trying to do the same with my truck. My main concern is the space in years 1993 4L60 and a 2000 4L80E.