2001 silverado fuel lines rusted through at plastic to metal couplink connection...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by awbooth, Mar 13, 2015.

1. awbooth

awbooth Full Member

Ok, I have a 2001 silverado 4x4 4.8 liter V8.
    I smelled fuel under the truck one day and found a nightmare. A couple of years ago I replaced brake lines going down the drivers side frame.
    Well, now its the fuel lines. I will explain. There are 3 fuel lines going from the fuel tank going across from the frame. There are GM plastic fuel lines coming from the top of the fuel tank. Those plastic fuel lines come to end and have plastic connections(fittings) with clips. Inside those is where metal fuel lines plug in. Sounds strange that GM would use plastic fuel line, than after using plastic fuel line they have plastic connectors and from those plastic connectors turns to metal fuel lines. I really don't like anything that has to do with the setup that I found. I found that the rotted fuel line rotted at the plastic fitting connection. So, to be clear, I removed the damaged areas on 2 of the three fuel lines. One line is the fuel filter line, the thicker of the two lines rotted. I "bypassed" the rotted fuel line, cut out the damaged "plastic ****" from the tank side and purchased a double ended "ribbed" couplink, one end I heated up, pressed into the plastc fuel line into the fuel tank side, other end of the ribbed fitting I pressed on rubber fuel line(that I purchased) and clamped it down with 2 hose clamps, other end I purchased small fuel line end, one end had the threaded male bolt that threaded into my new fuel filter, the other end accepted the other end of rubber fuel line double clamped again. Did the Same thing on 2nd rooted fuel line, bypassed metal areas rotted and used the ribbed couplink.... HERES THE PROBLEM, AT EACH CONNECTION END WHERE THE FUEL LINE AND HOSE CLAMPS ARE LOCATED... IT LEAKS!!!!!!!!!! IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS, I SNUG UP THE CLAMPS BUT IT STILL LEAKS....... ANY ONE HAVE A SUGGESTION ON HOW TO RESOLVE THIS TOUGH SPOT, TOUGH FUEL LINE REPAIR? ITS TOUGH TO BEND THE METAL LINES FROM THE REPAIR ENDS WHICH ARE NEAR THE FUEL FILTER, UP AND OVER TO THE FUEL TANK AREA WHERE I NEED TO HOOK UP TO. So again 2 fuel lines rotted, tried to bypass with fuel line, no way hosay!!
    im thinking stainless flex lines like you see on a toilet supply line where I can run the fuel line needed without nightmare bends that will never bend up and over frame to where I need to go....... what a mess..... thanks for any input!!:bow::bow:

2 people like this.
  2. 96silverado

96silverado Full Member

Anyway you can bypass this absurd plastic stupidity from chev and just attach fuel injection rubber hose from
    top of gas tank to passed where it rotted out and just clamp 2 or so hose clamps at where steel line is good? Even a goop of JB-weld for redneck security inside rubber hose connections..?

2 people like this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

15765805 A/C Delco, from Rock Auto dot com, complete set, original equipment for standard cab.

15765803 for extended cab, except for 2" raised.

1 person likes this.
  4. awbooth

awbooth Full Member

thanks guys, where can I get real fuel injection clamps, regualr hose clamps leak.....

5. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Might as well bite the bullet get all new...these have high fuel pressure.ole tbi you can clamp around 12 psi..your trying to clamp at least 58 psi.
    The fittings that are from factory..higher the pressure more they hold. Are you trying to clamp the hard plastic onto the metal?
    Never be able to do this..unless some how you could heat it up. Make sure fuel is not present..heat till kinda soft then tighten the clamps....like you would the ole black water lines. ..clamps squeeze soft plastic for a good seal.

2 people like this.
  6. awbooth

awbooth Full Member

I heat up the hose and press the barb repair fitting in with no clamps, there are no leaks there, I was referring to the hose clamps on the hose ends. Just realized they sell fuel injection hose along with fuel injection clamps, nightmare to change all the fuel lines, have to drop the tank

1 person likes this.
  7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    I think i read right ^^ Heat plastic line use clamps to squeeze plastic line onto metal lines.

2 people like this.
  8. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Trying to get around it the easy won't work, these run high pressure its going to leak unless you get the factory lines and parts to replace it, I don't think no matter clamp you try or how you heat it up and clamp it, its going to leak. Its like trying to use a hose clamp on a pressure water hose its going to blow water past the clamp its not tight enough to hold it back. Liquid pressure is different from air pressure, when trying to clamp to seal it, liquid does not compress and if it can find a place to squeeze out and leak it will.

2 people like this.
  9. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

I just about burned up My 1978 MG-B Roadster, experimenting with fuel injection. Clamps will not hold higher pressures. Just saying.
    From now on, after that experience, it will be factory pipe, fittings and hoses for Me. Nothing else will ever substitute what the factory had designed and put together, THE ONLY SAFE METHOD.
    A car on fire from stupidity is not a fun ordeal at all.

2 people like this.
  10. mib2000

mib2000 Full Member

I just had my fuel lines replaced in my 03 silverado last month . They did the supply and return and some of the really bad metal on the vapor line . Firestone did mine for $520 . But they used the new Nylon fuel lines . No leaks since and even if it did they would have to fix it . Its awesome to fix stuff yourself and save money but for me fuel line that "could" catch fire would end up worse that you started .
    and I found a 20% off coupon when i did it and saved $92 . so I paid like $420 ish

2 people like this.