1993 GMC Sierra Swap

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by antondubbs, Dec 12, 2016.

1. antondubbs

antondubbs New Member

I just bought a 1993 Sierra 4.3L with 275,000. Got a steal on it even though it doesnt run. What I plan on doing still sits up in the air and thats where you could potentially come in handy.

I know so far that the truck comes with a 4L60E, from what I have interpreted so far. What I wish to do is drop in a 305ci or 350ci into the truck replacing the factory 262ci. From what I have read, the 4L60E bolt pattern will match both 305 and 350. What I am having a hard time understanding is if I need to worry about TPS and other sensors that will need to be added during the swap. If so, I am curious to know which sensors will be needed. Also, in swapping a larger engine, will I need corresponding ECM and other modules for proper running or will the existing modules be compatible for the swap?

I am mechanically inclined to a certain degree but have a lot left to learn. Thanks for any help and if clarification is needed I am open to discuss specifics and desires.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

manual tranny?...keep it

3. antondubbs

antondubbs New Member

The 4L60E is a 4spd automatic trans.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm Full Member

sorry, missed the tranny part in your post.....i jump in and out

5. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Don't think there is a 305 in those years of a TBI engine, was either a 4.3 v6 or the 350. The 350 will drop in but may need the ECM from the 350 truck sensor locations may be different just have to look and match it up, also think the engine mounts have to be reloacted holes show be in frame for both v6 and 350 just have to unbolt them move forward and bolt back down, will need the exhaust manifolds and maybe the Y pipe, fan shroud from teh 350 as the one for the v6 is wider to reach the v6.

6. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    Probably need to get a donor truck with a 350 and then start the whole swap. You will have all the stuff: shift linkages, wiring harness, ecm and all the sensors.