1992 6 door Suburban Conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Forum' started by Patrick Blanchette, Feb 9, 2018.

?

Should I post updates as I work on this project?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Patrick Blanchette

None, YET
    I am going to get my first car soon, I am planning on buying a used 1992 Chevy Silverado 1 ton.
    I found a 1992 Chevy Suburban (Same year by coincidence) and I remembered seeing a website for a company that takes new Ford Crewcab Longbox trucks and an old ford Excursion body and turns them into a 6 door SUV. I was wondering if I could do this with the Silverado and Suburban and come out with a vehicle like this:
    [​IMG]
    The only problem that I see is that the truck I am planning on getting is an extended cab, not crew cab.

I would just get another truck but I strangely can't find a Crewcab Silverado even though the local craigslist is dominated by 1988-1995 Chevys.

This is a picture from the website that makes 6 door Ford "Excursions"
    [​IMG]
    (Website: How are the conversions built?)

I have no problem extending and strengthening the frame as much as necessary but I would still need another set of doors, I was thinking I could take the small extended cab doors, turn them around, and extend them so I could have the full 6 doors.

How easy would this be to do?
    Any input is appreciated.

gmctrucks likes this.
  2. gmctrucks

gmctrucks Full Member

It would be a LOT of work involved good luck! GMC.

Patrick Blanchette and MikeG like this.
  3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Senior Moderator
    Staff Member

dump trucker driver
    Alot of work, alot of cutting, welding and measuring, keeping everything in line and square 100% if out by 1 degree it will get worse further along you go, and longer the stretch on the frame is the more out of square it will be.

4. Patrick Blanchette

None, YET
    I know it would take a lot of time, patience, and a bit of luck but I think it’s worth it. I have 5 siblings and we barely fit into my mom’s van and my mom is adamant about me transporting my own bass drum for marching band (with beast this I could bring the whole drumline’s drums) This project would be very fun and challenging but I would have a blast doing it.

Also I’d have the biggest truck in the school :)

gmctrucks likes this.
  5. MikeG

MikeG Full Member

Wind Turbine Technician
    @Patrick Blanchette it's a cool idea in theory but a project like this will take months if not better than a year. It seems like it would be a lot of fabricating. Not to mention the experience it takes as well as the equipment. If this is something you're going to attempt please post a "Build Thread" so we can follow the progress.

And to quote @gmctrucks :

"Good Luck!"

6. Patrick Blanchette

None, YET
    I know it would be a very big and time consuming project and I wouldn’t consider doing anything like this without a lot more experience if I didn’t have my dad/grandpa to help me with it, they have many years of welding experience. I have taken a welding and fabrication class but it was only a semester long and we had to cover a lot of different things, I was pretty good but not nearly as much as my dad who worked for a fabrication company.
    I have put a lot of thought and a bit of research into it and I think we could pull it off.
    Thanks for the replys all!

MikeG and gmctrucks like this.
  7. scavanger

scavanger Full Member

machinest working on retireing come June 2015
    you would want two crew cabs, one to take the back doors off of , or a suburban for the back doors. and door jams of course.

Patrick Blanchette likes this.
  8. Patrick Blanchette

None, YET
    I would use a crew cab but there are none that I can find in my area on craigslist, If I did I would do it like they do on the website I linked and took a picture from (How are the conversions built?), cutting the Suburban Body somewhere on the front door part of the frame, and on the same spot on the second row of doors on the truck, then putting the Suburban body onto the truck and combining the bodys. (See pic below)
    [​IMG]
    Because I can't find a crew cab, I am going to take the small doors and flip them around so they open like the other doors and extend them so they would be the same length. I would have to extend the frame a couple of inches to account of the added length of the 2nd row of doors. Then I would put the suburban body on the chassis after cutting it in the same relative location as the picture above and form sheet metal to fill in any gaps in the body (Picture below is example of the 2nd row of doors that I plan on modifying)
    [​IMG]
    I will post pictures soon on my drawings to help explain my design

9. JTWard

JTWard Full Member

I'm retired.
    I live very close to the Delaware border with S.E.
    Ah, you have had some really good info here from some pretty smart people. But , let's say you were financially and physical able to do this , Once done you would need to have it certified and approved as a DOT safe car. Do you know how much paperwork your going to have to do ? This is why there are specific companies who do limousines, They are there, I've been there. They have engineers who are approved by the federal government keep an eye on them, as well as the state. Besides, you have a foot of snow already ? Please , don't do this to yourself, just find something you like and all you have to do is put gas & go !

MikeG likes this.