1989 Silverado

Discussion in '4x4 trucks / off road' started by TheRealClayvis, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TheRealClayvis

TheRealClayvis New Member

I've been trying to figure out why my 4x4 doesn't work. I've checked fuses and the voltage at the actuator. I've pulled the actuator out and kicked it into high and it extends. The transfer case locks in but the front end doesn't lock in. I've also tried removing the actuator and sticking a screwdriver in to get it to engage. I'm assuming by this point I should just pull the differential out and go through it? Any other advice or ideas out there? 1989 Silverado 1500

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. kbrown11

kbrown11 Full Member

Customer Service Representative
    #2 kbrown11, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    It does sound like something is wrong with your front differential. Your front Actuator is working and getting power and that actuator not working is the problem most of the time. You should be able to engage the diff with the screwdriver. Not being able to leads me to believe that something is wrong with the differential. Welcome to the forum RealClayvis! I am sure others will post here and give you some more advice.
    Were you able to engage the front differential with a screwdriver? Your front actuator might still be bad, not working well enough to engage the differential even though it works not installed.

MikeG and MrMarty51 like this.
  3. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

When testing the actuator, were You able to press the pin back in, with power supplied to it ? If not then the actuator is probably okay.
    Just the right side tube needs to be removed for a complete rebuild. not a tough job but easier with some air tools. Not much in there to get jammed up though. I would still suspect the actuator if the front axle can be engaged with a screw driver.
    In my opinion, it is a good idea to remove that tube and do a clean up/inspection every five years or so anyways.

leolkfrm, TheRealClayvis and kbrown11 like this.
  4. TheRealClayvis

Thank you!

5. TheRealClayvis

It didn't engage with the screwdriver that's why I think I need to take it apart. And see what's going on. Not much of a mechanic. Kinda why I bought the truck to finally get some knowledge! Thank you!

mikecross and MrMarty51 like this.
  6. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Okay. If You do not have a book about repairing of the wehicle, it`d be a good idea to get one.
    Toughest part is getting the CV axle removed, well, everything to get to a place where the CV axle can be removed.

MikeG likes this.
  7. TheRealClayvis

chilton? And CV shafts?

MrMarty51 likes this.
  8. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Chiltons or haynes will work.
    It should explain how to take apart the front hub, get it completely out of the way. Remove the shock absorber, inbolt the 1/2 shaft flange, pull out the front CV{Constant Velocity} axle, two bolts holding the axle tube to the suspension, four, maybe five bolts holding the flange for the axle tube, pull out the axle tube, disassemble, flush and wash, replace seal, clean components inspect and re~assemble.

MikeG and kbrown11 like this.
  9. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Might need to replace the needle roller bearing in the end of it too. Under the seal.

kbrown11, MikeG and leolkfrm like this.
  10. mikecross

mikecross Full Member

When pulling the CV axles, the worst part for me were the sway bar end links. They're not very strong and I snapped both of them trying to take CVs out. Not an expensive fix, just more of a PITA. I let a tire shop do it during an alignment. Other than that the axle's are relatively easy to pull off. I did a write up on it awhile ago when I destroyed mine playing in the mud.

kbrown11 and MrMarty51 like this.