1977 dodge warlock transformation

Discussion in 'Dodge Truck Forum' started by Temp, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Temp

Temp Full Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post on a forum so bear with me.

I recently bought a 1977,2wd warlock, but it needs a few things like and engine, transmission, and a fuel tank. I bought this truck as a first fixer-upper project and to have a sweet ride to take to college. I'd like to put a 318 in it; good on gas with decent power. However, it was originally an automatic. What parts would I need to buy to convert everything, inside and out, to a 4 speed manual? Where would be the best place to find these parts? What year parts will work on the 77?

Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.
  2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Dodge trucks from 73 till 93 did not change....they did change grills..back lights but all will swap..same body style for 30 years . When you look they did change body line a bit through the years ..but will swap through 73-93 also the hood change dip..no dip..but will swap. How about some pics..welcome to the forum.

1 person likes this.
  3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Full Member

Stove tech @ true value
    I wouldnt change the drivetrain. Warlocks are pretty desirable and valuable. Swapping in a 4 speed to an auto truck would hurt said value. As for the engine, do you know what it ha from the factory? Some were equipped with a big block.

5 people like this.
  4. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    X2 ^^. That truck is kinda rare. I'd leave it alone. Welcome to the forum.

3 people like this.
  5. Temp

Temp Full Member

Thanks everyone for the info! I've decided to leave it an automatic. I'm not sure what engine it originally came with, however, the people who had it before me had it set up for drag racing with a 440 and a fuel cell. They then sold it to the dealer who I bought it off of. I didn't think id want the 440 because of the gas mileage since I would be using it to drive to college when the weather permits me to do so, so the dealer sold me just the body. I can still get the 440 and tranny off of him if I wanted which leads me to a few questions: is the 440 really that hard on gas? Is $2000, installed and running, a good price for a 440 and transmission? And if the 440 would be a bad choice, what would be the best size engine to put in it with the compromise of power and mpg?

Thanks again everyone!

2 people like this.
  6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Full Member

Stove tech @ true value
    318 would be best for fuel mileage. If you can post a pic of the fender tag (option codes), I can tell you what it came with. $2000 wouldnt be a bad price depending on the condition of the engine, and what year, how built the engine is. If its a late 70's engine, it would have to be one **** of a thumper to be worth $2k

3 people like this.
  7. jkeaton

jkeaton Full Member

Engineer
    Lol. Yes. A 440 would suck gas like a hummingbird sucks nectar. Would be a fun truck though.

3 people like this.
  8. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

:idea: Why put a "MOUSE" where a "RAT' can preside ? :applaud::rofl: JUST KIDDING.
    Yes, the 440 would not be good for the MPG. On the other hand, My brother had an extended Dodge van, would load it down with band gear, head down the road and get fantastic fuel mileage, with four to five band members loaded into it too. That van had a carbed 318, If memory serves correctly, the mileage was right at twenty to the gallon, running 70 to 75 MPH.
    If You could find a manually shifted overdrive transmission, that too would help on the fuel mileage, even a "Manually operated Lock Up Torque Converter" would help, even without the O.D. transmission.
    With the lock up converter, it would not be seen, nor noticed, until the wehicle was on the road.
    Welcome to the forum Temp.

2 people like this.
  9. hatzie

hatzie Full Member

None of the Chrysler engines I've run was great on fuel. OTOH the 383 in a 69 Polara and 78 Power Wagon and the 340 in a Dart were not exactly intended to be fuel misers. A 318 should run forever.

If that 440 and transmission were original to that Warlock they're worth having no matter what you install.

3 people like this.
  10. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Member

Get and keep all of the original parts, if You have the capacity to store them.
    Install the 318 and, if Your desire is to have a manual then, go to the extra work to scrounge and buy the clutch link components, keep every thing so that it can be restored back to its original condition.
    The reason I`m telling You to get that original engine is:
    I have a friend that is restoring a 69 Mustang Mach I or whatever it is, the car was originally a 390 and auto transmission. He is scrounging all of the original components, even down to the intake manifold having the proper numbers. He has been scrounging parts for this car for well over ten years now and, Has finally got the last of the components, except for, the intake manifold, He is still looking, it took Him about seven years to find a 390 block with the proper numbers then, another year or so to find the heads.
    This car is one of two that was built, according to the serial numbers, it even had the wing away steering column, try to find one of those. The Thunderbirds had that option and was quite common but, those are longer than the mustang units, He finally found one from a couple years newer Mustang and got that purchased, it is an exact fit.
    He now is ready to start the retrofitting, mock it all up, take it all apart, after adjustments are made then, off to the paint shop, then, new glass and the assembling procedure.
    What that Mustang will be worth when it is finished, I have no idea but, knowing Steve, it will all be top notch workmanship and all done right.

3 people like this.