04 sierra gauges , radio, power windows/door locks not working

Discussion in 'GMC Truck Forum' started by Fishaman, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Fishaman

Fishaman Member

Hello, new to the forum. This problem just started,the fuel,temp,oil,battery guages ,radio and power to doors all turn off from time to time. Ac also doesn't work when this happens. ABS and battery lights come on. Bad ground somewhere?Thanks

2. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Need to check all grounds chassi grounds under the hood . You have the two piece positive cable at battery clean it.
    Other things might be bcm/body control module..or a bad wire in the ignition switch.

3. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    Oh google recalls on your problem see what you come up with.

4. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
  5. Fishaman

Fishaman Member

Thanks for the quick responses Chevychase! Think I'm leaning towards ignition switch. Took apart the dash, wiggled every wire, no change while wiggling wires. It just works, then doesn't work speradically. Tried again in the evening, and now my radio works, but doesn't turn off even if the key is pulled , and door opened. Guages still don't work. Disconected battery for the night, see what happens in the morning.

6. Fishaman

Fishaman Member

Didn't change ignition switch, but I figured out how to turn the guages/radio etc. On. I noticed everytime I would get out of the truck the radio would come on. So I did what any guy would do...started punching the seat. Sure enough, turns things on. So, want the radio-punch the seat,not sure if fuel is low-punch the seat, don't know is the truck overheating?.....you guessed it, punch the seat. Could this be faulty airbag sensor,seat heaters? The truck is a 2004 sierra slt, with full power seats. Only thing that sucks, once I'm done getting funny looks from strangers in the parking lot, and I sit down, it all turns back off :(

7. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    If i run up on this question again will tell them to punch the seat ..gitter done ..they will know i,am a nut then lol

8. Fishaman

Fishaman Member

Well, got her fixed up. Was 100% convinced it was an ignition problem. Turned out to be a wiring harness that was being squished between the driver's seat and the rail the seat is mounted on.I removed the bottom of the seat with the 2 nuts holding it on at the front end of the seat. Unplugged the harness that was above the seat's mounting rail(which was visably squished), plugged it in underneath the rail, and all the symptoms went away just like that. I know what your thinking cause I thought the same. Strange. But problem solved. Not sure if this is a factory location for this harness, but I would recommend others to check their seats out before you have issues. Hopefully this info can help someone else out, and maybe save an expensive bill or two..Thanks for your replies CC. Now on to the next problem....the 4x4 control switch(needs to be replaced)

9. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED
    What is your symptoms to think switch... did you scan for body codes /bcodes?

10. chevychase

chevychase Semi-Admin
    Staff Member

SELF EMPLOYED